Front USB slots don't work

wobblymike 20:01 01 Dec 2004

I have just put together a mobo into a new case, everything works fine the machine is now running XP with SP 2 no problems. The problem is USB - the rear USB slots on the board work fine and pick up my digital camera no problem, the front ones do not work When I plug the camera in it is reported as a malfunctioning device, when I click into it it says no drivers installed. I have checked Device Manager which is reporting an unknown USB port. I suspect I need some drivers but I am open to suggestions. The board is reported by Belarc as a VIA Technologies VT8363 and the board as 8363-686A. Any help greatly appreciated.
Mike

BBez 20:26 01 Dec 2004

make sure you have connected the USB Front Panel connector to the mobo connectors correctly...

you can probably get the latest Via Hyperion drivers if you click here and check windows update for any issues...

alan227 20:43 01 Dec 2004

Also check you have them wired correctly.

click here

Gongoozler 20:50 01 Dec 2004

Unfortunately there is no standard for the motherboard USB pin allocation, so you need to check the manual for your motherboard to see what the pin functions are. Reversing the signal + and - connections won't cause any damage, but reversing the 5V and 0V pins or confusing the power and signal pins can cause immediate and permanent damage.

wobblymike 22:48 01 Dec 2004

Guys

thanks for your help, the link to the wiring diagram showed me I had the + and - data connections the wrong way round despite my manual telling me to wire them the way I had - I've now switched them and all works well. Thanks again

wobblymike 22:48 01 Dec 2004

Guys

thanks for your help, the link to the wiring diagram showed me I had the + and - data connections the wrong way round despite my manual telling me to wire them the way I had - I've now switched them and all works well. Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?