Front Usb Ports

WaiKent 13:09 27 Oct 2003

hi, i have recently bought a midi tower case and with it cam two front usb2 ports and sound and mic ports on a circuit board. there were wires leading from them and i was wondering where i plug them into on the motherboard. there are plugs that say ground and stuff like that. three pieces covered in a grey insulation cable, with wires feeding from it.wires multicoloured. erm hope this makes sense.

alan 2273 13:17 27 Oct 2003

Try thisclick here

Simon_P 13:40 27 Oct 2003

Hope you dont mind
Just thought it would be useful for reference.

Thanks

pj123 14:20 27 Oct 2003

Email me and I will send you a Front USB Connection Chart.

pj123 17:34 27 Oct 2003

Have emailed you the connection chart. If it works please respond to this thread and close it. Thanks.

SimianBenzoate 18:49 27 Oct 2003

i had a similar question click here

WaiKent 20:04 27 Oct 2003

thanks, i havent recieved my mobo yet so i will tell you if it works when i get it in a few days.

DieSse 21:49 27 Oct 2003

You can only use the connection schematic that comes with the motherboard - use any other, and it might not work - worse, could damage the motherboard.

There is NO - repeat NO standard for the pinouts on these headers on motherboards. There will a diagram that shows you what it is for your particular motherboard.

pj123 11:35 28 Oct 2003

DieSse what you say is true but I have done many connections to front USBs and have found the PC Case should have a diagram with the cables marked V1 V2 D1- D2- D1+ D2+ G1 and G2. The motherboard (if it supports front connections) should also have a diagram with the same readouts. The cables are normally coloured red, yellow, green and black as well, although I have found on two cases the it is red, white, green and black.

DieSse 12:16 28 Oct 2003

Sorry - I wasn't trying to criticise your advice about the actual cables on the case - yes, I've done many and they're all generally marked the same way, as you describe -

- it was just a warning about the motherboard end, having seen many different layouts.

pj123 13:31 28 Oct 2003

DieSse, not taken as a critisism but what we must emphasise to WaiKent is the new motherboard he/she is getting must support front USB ports in the first place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires