Front USB port stopped working

kimtrnc 11:23 03 Apr 2011

Sorry, sure this must have been talked about before. Have been reading various sites, which all talk about unconnected USBs. I have been using the front ports on this machine for several years. Last week, they simply stopped working. There are only 2 -frail- USB ports at back of machine,they are working. At the moment......
What can I do, if anything, to resucitate these front ports?

Otherwise, I am thinking of sacrificing one of the back USB ports to add a hub, but this would need to have a very long cable to reach right round the desktop and sit on the floor or the computer table.

Anyone have some good ideas for someone who used to undersand computers....(Sigh)

Nontek 11:46 03 Apr 2011

Right-click on My Computer, then click on Properties>Hardware>Device Manager and then Uninstall ALL USB Ports. Re-start computer and Windows will reinstall the USB Ports. Then try front ports again.

kimtrnc 12:59 03 Apr 2011

I also have a USB mouse, which is still working on one of the back ports. Really don't want to lose that port.... Should I leave that one, which is working? Will Windows notice the rear USB port? And if it doesn't work - I won't even have a mouse? Sorry if I seem to be panicking - that's because I AM! TIA kimig

Taff™ 13:08 03 Apr 2011

You`ll have to use a PS2 mouse for this exercise because as you rightly point out as soon as you uninstall the ports the USB mouse will stop working. On reboot just plug it back in again. It will work OK.

Nontek 13:19 03 Apr 2011

As Taff™ says, use a PS2 mouse. ALL USB Ports should be uninstalled.

Batch 13:46 03 Apr 2011

Although not absolutely guaranteed, the rear USB ports tend to be mounted directly on the rear edge of the motherboard (unless it is a very old PC with an add-in USB card).

Whereas the front ports are usually connected via wires to the USB area of the motherboard. It could just be a faulty (e.g. dirty) connection.

If you feel confident, you could open up the PC and disconnect the front port wires (at both ends if possible) and reconnect. Just doing this might clean up the contacts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?