A Friend in need

ol blueeyes 17:26 14 Sep 2008

I have just received a frantic phone call from a friend.
He was operating windows xp then decided to try Linux whilst installing that he was told he had NO Hard Drive. Then tried to get XP going again and was told the same. Prior to trying to install linux (Suse) everything was find.
Told himn i could not help but I knew a man who could.
He says he has tried all the Discs Floppy discs etc that came with the Computer.
Any suggestions please

howard64 18:49 14 Sep 2008

just in case it is coincidence look inside the case and see that none of the cables has fallen out of its socket? worth pulling them out and then pushing them back in.

woodchip 19:24 14 Sep 2008

Tell him to keep tapping F8 as computer is booting then if he gets a list, choose Last Known Good Configuration

splatter 19:27 14 Sep 2008

Does the drive display in the BIOS? If so its probably the MBR. If the system has a manufacturs 'recovery partition' then it's not the simplist problem to fix, however if it doesn't he can boot from his XP CD and select recover console the just type 'fix mbr' hit enter then restart the system.

woodchip 19:32 14 Sep 2008

Also as splatter, but use that as a last resort

ol blueeyes 10:42 15 Sep 2008

Thanks to all messages passed on . If successful it wikll mean a couple of pints for me .
Will let you know

ol blueeyes 14:40 15 Sep 2008

I'm off to the Pub tonight for a couple of free pints the F8 option was the key to success.
Thanks to all from my friend.
Cheers

woodchip 18:59 15 Sep 2008

Good to see it worked, Can you tick the Box please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?