Friend having a problem with his Sound

RobCharles1981 23:21 14 Feb 2007

Hes having trouble with his Windows Sounds he cant hear them at all, and when he goes onto youtube he can see the video clip fine but can't hear the sound anyone know what this is? - It's been baffling him for months.

Robbie

Totally-braindead 23:27 14 Feb 2007

Firstly the obvious. Is he getting any sound whatsoever? If not has the computer been moved recently, are the plugs in the right sockets, are the speakers actually powered up, has he checked that the sounds are not muted under windows, is the volume turned up?
Has he checked under device manager for exclamation marks, has he tried reinstalling the sound card drivers?

RobCharles1981 23:31 14 Feb 2007

Hi Totally-Brainded - I have been through this with him on the Remote Assistance on msn messenger, and I have even updated the sound device which is onboard sound, he can play his MP3 Music files no problem its just the Windows sounds as well as youtube.

Thanks

Robbie

RobCharles1981 23:33 14 Feb 2007

He said just now that hesnt been unable to find the right driver for his onboard sound device his PC is a Tiny PC.

Totally-braindead 23:36 14 Feb 2007

Get him to look under Internet Options and see if under Advanced, Multimedia the box saying about playing sounds is ticked. Alternatively he could just click reset to defaults and see if that works.

Totally-braindead 23:38 14 Feb 2007

Oh that might be the problem then.
Was it working before?
Has he by any chance formatted the hard drive and reinstalled, is that why he doesn't have the right driver?

RobCharles1981 23:43 14 Feb 2007

Thats one of the suggestions I will try, when I see him online tomorrow, I will get him to download Everest Home and Berlac tomorrow and it will shed light on this Computer specs, His Windows XP is a problem too, hes got a "Pirated Copy of it" saying that this version of Windows is bla bla and so on" Cause his other Friend installed a copy I think that might be another factor as well.

Totally-braindead 23:47 14 Feb 2007

If he has reinstalled windows and cannot find the correct driver the simplest solution is to buy a cheap sound card and just use that. Saves all the hassle. Of course that is only a solution if the sound isn't installed properly and that is what is causing the problem. If its something else then a new sound card won't help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?