Friend has Bt Line but Bt say he cant get B.band??

buel 22:24 01 May 2009

Hi, my friend lives in a rural area and has recently has a Bt landline put into his house(£120ish) just so he can get broadband but now they have told him that he cant receive broadband as he 'lives too far from the exchange', please can anyone tell me does this mean that no broadband supplier can offer him broadband for the same reasons?
Ps- He can only receive Orange mobile phone reception and barely receive it at that so mobile broadband is a no-go!

lotvic 22:30 01 May 2009

You could check on samknows.com/broadband/checker click here

User-1229748 22:32 01 May 2009

i found this just pop your friends postcode inclick here

User-1229748 22:33 01 May 2009

thats my typing being too slow again :o(

Ashrich 22:35 01 May 2009

If his is too far away from the exchange ( like I am ) then that is it , unless there is cable TV and internet available in his area then he won't get anything . Having said that , sometime this year it is mooted that Eutelsat are going to be providing satellite based broadband to areas that cannot get anything else . The village I live in has a similar thing through a company called Avanti Broadband , the set up costs are quite high as are the monthly fees but it is all we can get , and there needs to be a minimum of 10 users before they are interested .

Ashley

lotvic 22:45 01 May 2009

Tooway, offers broadband access via a small satellite dish and a modem
see pcadvisor news item click here
(if you scroll down to the comments there is a firm that has been installing it since 2008)

cream. 23:00 01 May 2009

to 2005.

The speed was very good, apart from the initial lag in opening a page, we eventually got 4Mb for £15 a month. Setup was £150. I would still be using it now but they went bust and the village got broadband. The firm came around to get the receiver back. I told them give me back my £150 plus the 2 months notice you should have given me and you can have it, they never came back. Strange 8-)

Like Ashrich's post. We needed a minimum of 10 to start the ball rolling.

rdave13 23:13 01 May 2009

Try this O2 tester. If they say bb is not available then that is that. click here

Stuartli 23:52 01 May 2009

Did your friend stipulate that he wanted a BT line in order to be able to have a broadband service?

Patientedd 00:09 02 May 2009

I am an Openreach field engineer and work in the New Forest, one of the more rural areas of the telephone network. No matter who anyone chooses to provide their broadband we are the engineers that look after the network from the exchange to the premises.

All I can say is that the further you are away from an exchange the worse the broadband service will be, however I have worked on customers lines that are over 10km from an exchange and still have broadband, all be it no better than 1 mbps.

The problem lies in the fact that there is probably no equipment in the exchange to supply broadband as it has been used up.

To answer your question, there may well be a day when your friend can have broadband but who knows when!

Edd

Patientedd 00:43 02 May 2009

If your friend is on a DACS equipment, which in all fairness he wouldn't know, he may not be able to get broadband.

DACS is used when there is a lack of lines to an area, it allows one pair of wires to feed two customers,(one pair usually feeds one customer).

The problem with DACS......it doesn't work with broadband!!! And if there isn't enough pairs of wires to your friends area then that is that! The problem is the license in place only ensures you get a phone line regardless of the cost to Openreach, but not broadband.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?