Friend has asked about two Laptops, please can I have some advice?

buel 22:03 15 Apr 2014

Hi all, Very quick one- a friend has asked me for an opinion on two laptops from bloomin' Cash Converters (I know). It's for his 16 year old son to help him through his exams. All he has given me is:

ACER V5  - intel core i3 processor
Windows 8
6GB 
£199

Dell Laptop intel core i3 Windows 7 3GB £ 199

Along with the line "Does window mean it supports a version of excel?".

Please can I have some opinions on what on earth these laptops could be like? I fear the worst...

lotvic 23:41 15 Apr 2014

Secondhand from the pawnbrokers. I had a quick look at the sales website. It'll be potluck, I expect there are bargains to be had if you know what you are doing. Is there any sort of warranty given?

bumpkin 23:45 15 Apr 2014

Give it a miss in my opinion.

buel 06:51 16 Apr 2014

Hi all,

Thanks for that. Yes, I agree 100%, I just wanted some feedback. 6 months warranty, apparently.

sharpamat 08:17 16 Apr 2014

Even with 6 Months warranty I would agree with bumpkin , For a little more cash your friend could buy a new one.

As for excel with the amount of posts you place on the Forum you are surely aware Excel is included with almost all versions of Microsoft Office, which in almost all windows operating systems it is supported

Jollyjohn 10:46 16 Apr 2014

PC World are currently offering an Acer notebook, 15" screen but no optical drive for £249 using W8. This is a nice laptop, I have set up 2 so far for 2 people and they are quite happy with the laptop.

As for Excel, on a new laptop search for MS Office Starter,not trial, and you get a cut down version of Word, Excel and powerpoint. It is a free download.

buel 18:28 16 Apr 2014

Sharpamat: 'As for excel with the amount of posts you place on the Forum you are surely aware Excel is included with almost all versions of Microsoft Office, which in almost all windows operating systems it is supported'

Funny you should mention that because I ask lots of questions I should think that. In fact, no, I have found that many, many new laptops do not include Microsoft Office. Trial, yes. Full version, no.

Thank you JollyJohn, much appreciated!

If anyone has more ideas for £200-ish then please let me know.

Thank you.

Ian in Northampton 18:52 16 Apr 2014

I just bought my daughter a Dell Latitude 6400 with 4GB memory, 500GB disk, 13.3 inch screen, W7 COA from this eBay seller for £149.99. I can't recommend them highly enough. The machine was in great nick, shipping was fast (and free) and it came in a huge package with more bubble wrap than I've sever seen. Customer service was outstanding - I couldn't have been more pleased. I don't recall what the warranty, was, though - possibly just three months. Might be worth checking them out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?