Friend is building pc

chaztait 23:07 23 Jul 2007

Hi i have asked my friend to build a pc for me. The parts are being deliverd to his house but he was telling me that he can hack it. He said all he needs is the motherboard number which im guessing is unique and my eathernet number or something and my graphics card number. Is it possible for him to do this and if so. how can i prevent it?

would a firewall help. i trust he wouldnt do anything, but at the same time its knowing that he can easily?

please reply soon.

cheers

skidzy 23:13 23 Jul 2007

I have no idea what you are talking about...this does not make any sense !

"but he was telling me that he can hack it. He said all he needs is the motherboard number which im guessing is unique and my eathernet number or something and my graphics card number. "

Im guessing a pirated version of windows,if so...no help given here !!!!

chaztait 23:14 23 Jul 2007

no he said he could do it with either or.

lotvic 23:18 23 Jul 2007

to stop your 'friend' hacking into your pc system after you have taken delivery of it and are 'up and running' you will need to install something like Zone Alarm which will alert you if anyone tries to access your pc
ZoneAlarm is an easy-to-use firewall that blocks hackers and other unknown threats

skidzy 23:18 23 Jul 2007

Im sorry chaztait i cannot make sense of your thread,maybe im missing something here.

I dont get the hack bit ? do you mean overclock the computer ?

skidzy 23:19 23 Jul 2007

Sorry got it now...cheers Lotvic...Doh !

chaztait 23:20 23 Jul 2007

no. he said he can, shut down the power pack. turn off graphics card and i think he said the HDD. is he talking bull?

skidzy 23:22 23 Jul 2007

Make your choice from here click here
download to flashdrive or cd.

Once you receive the computer install the programs.

skidzy 23:24 23 Jul 2007

If you have a firewall installed,he would have to be very clever to bypass that,i doubt that very much.

Sounds like you should have someone else build this computer,or buy new from Dell or PC World or similar.

Just out of curosity,how much is he charging you ?

chaztait 23:25 23 Jul 2007

he aint charging anything.

i think he could be bluffing just to kid on that he is good with computers.

lotvic 23:25 23 Jul 2007

skidzy, made me chuckle :)

chaztait, I think your friend is doing his best to wind you up, he can't do anything if you are protected by a good firewall as he won't be able to get access to your system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone