Fresh install of xp:Laptop disc or oem disc?

buel 18:44 07 Dec 2009

Hi,
i am planning to do a fresh install of xp on my medion laptop, i am unsure whether to use the specific Medion disk that came with the laptop or to use an oem xp disk that i have. The reason i ask this is that i seem to remember there being a quite a bit of bloatware that came with the laptop such as AOL, BullGuard etc etc and id prefer not to have this, but this disk will also contain the specific drivers for my laptop. Im guessing that the oem disk of xp that i have wont have such bloatware but wouldn't have the drivers i need (but i could download seperately). Am i correct with this assumption? And which way of performing the fresh installation would you advise?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, thank you in advance...!

GaT7 18:50 07 Dec 2009

I would go with the OEM disk for the same reason you give - avoid the bloatware!

Regarding the drivers, you may find them on the Medion install disk itself. But if it's not possible to access them, or if XP OEM doesn't have them, you'll need to download them separately from the Medion website.

Make sure you have the XP product key to hand prior to the reinstallation. G

Pineman100 19:16 07 Dec 2009

Crossbow7's advice makes a fair bit of sense, but actually I think I would go the other way.

Tracking down and downloading the necessary drivers could take a fair bit of time. Whereas uninstalling the annoying bloatware that goes in with your laptop shouldn't really take too long.

But you pays yer money and takes yer choice!

Pineman100 19:17 07 Dec 2009

Sorry - meant to say "...with your laptop disk..."

canarieslover 19:22 07 Dec 2009

My Medion recovery disk seems to have the 'bloatware' in a seperate directory so I would have thought that it would be possible to re-install without it. I haven't yet had to use it for this but it did allow me to do a repair when I needed to, which surprised me as I was expecting to have to re-install.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:27 07 Dec 2009

your medion laptop should have the drivers on a separate partition labelled backup or on the recovery disk in a drivers folder.

Cymro. 12:01 08 Dec 2009

I tried to fresh install my Medion laptop with the Windows OEM disk that came with the machine but was not able to do so. At the very end of the proses that seemed to have taken ages the Windows log-on screen and the loading bar below it were appearing in a everlasting loop. Yes I now realise I must have done something wrong.

So I then inserted the Medion recovery disk and this worked with no problem and was in fact quite quick. O.K. so yes I lost everything I had added to the machine and had to get rid of all the bloatware but as I had no data that I wanted to save it all worked out very well. But I must admit I am rather curious as to what I had done wrong when I tried to use the Windows OEM disk.

buel 14:35 08 Dec 2009

That is interesting Cymro, it would have been interesting to have tried the oem disk again!!

I wonder if i tried the oem disk would it be as simple as transfering the driver folder from the recovery partition before hand to a usb pen drive and then back onto the c drive after the oem disk has put xp on and using the drivers that way?

canarieslover 14:50 08 Dec 2009

I've just noticed that the O.E.M. disk is not the one that came with the Medion. If it has been used to install on any other computer you may well find that you will not be able to validate it on the Medion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?