Fresh install of Windows onto other drive

Adam Patrick 11:11 27 Jun 2007

Hi, my C: Drive is failing with Windows installed on it, so would like to install Windows again (98SE with XP upgrade) onto my D: Drive.
Is this a simple procedure?
Is it just a case of putting disk in and installing onto D: Drive,then somehow uninstalling corrupted C:Drive version?

I don't really know how to go about it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Press Man 11:38 27 Jun 2007

Is the hard drive failing or is Windows 98SE corrupt in some way? If the hard drive is failing then I suggest you back up all your personal documents, photos, music etc and replace the drive. If it is Windows that is corrupt then save all your personal documents either to the D drive or cd/dvd and reinstall Win 98SE.

mgmcc 11:43 27 Jun 2007

If you go to the website of the manufacturer of one of the hard drives, you should be able to download software with which to "clone" your failing drive.

Most hard drive manufactures provide this facility but the software only works if one of the drives involved is of their own make.

That is the "free" option. There are other options, e.g. using an "imaging" program such as "Acronis True Image" or "Norton Ghost" to create an image file of your existing hard drive in separate media - external USB hard drive, DVD etc - and then restoring that image to a new hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?