Frequent Self Restart - What Next?

The Potter 01:32 31 Dec 2010

Following on from my other post about low disk space (now understood), I have to face that the PC obviously has some problems as tonight it has started again – restarting itself frequently – sometimes even immediately after it had run through the checkdisk and got the desktop up.

With the .chk files removed, I’ve run the Seagate HD scanner again and no problems, same with the RAM (windiag). I’ve installed nothing new recently and AVG reports no infections. The checkdisk tonight only reported problems with temp files – IE or others – most of which I have deleted but Windows still reports it has recovered from a serious error (file not corrupted though).

The last bit of hardware installed was a router which was connected to the Ethernet card so I disconnected the Ethernet cable from the router but the PC still crashed.

I have checked the Device Manager and nothing reports a conflict.

Please could you suggest what I should do next? I’m thinking that I will have to effectively take the PC out of action and run it in Safemode (if I can) and detect it that way.

On the other hand, this was a £120 recon with only memory and USB 2 upgrades, maybe it would be easier to buy another?

It’s running WIN XP, pent 4 and it runs 24/7 as it runs software to promote our YouTube sites.

TP

NB: During the typing of this in word, it restarted 3 times – first chk was 1 x IE5 temp (I run IE8), 2nd was 1 x win prefetch, 3rd was 5 x temp files

Terry Brown 07:38 31 Dec 2010

If you have the XP CD, you could try the following.

From RUN, type in sfc /scannow and press enter

NOTE: the space between sfc and / in important

The will check your system and if any windows files are damaged, corrupt or missing this will repair /replace them.

As you have upgraded to IE8, the Win XP CD may be marked as out of date, if so this will not work and may make your machine worse.

Ask for advise from other users.

Try going back to IE7, (Control Panel / Add-Remove), to see if this helps as IE8 may be too powerful for your machine to handle.

Terry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:50 31 Dec 2010

"The last bit of hardware installed was a router"

Uninstall the ethernet card and reinstall drivers

Auto-reboot disable:
When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, often it will restart too fast for you to see the error message.
To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

The Potter 01:39 03 Jan 2011

Sadly I don't have a bootable win xp disk.

I disabled the auto restart and googled the 2 messages I got which just say it's a hardware or software prob.

I've tried driver updates, registry cures and AVG tuneup but to no avail. The HD is now ready for reformatting but the darn thing won't let me do it with XP running ..... here comes a new post! (GRR)

TP

rdave13 01:57 03 Jan 2011

If you have no XP disc then there should be a recovery partition available even though the PC was a recon. If not then you can't restore to factory settings. Sounds to me like your Hard drive is failing.
Whatever you do get all the info off it as soon as you can.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:52 03 Jan 2011

So what are the 2 messages?

"first chk was 1 x IE5 temp (I run IE8), 2nd was 1 x win prefetch, 3rd was 5 x temp files"
"I've tried driver updates, registry cures"

Some registry cleaners cause more problems than they solve
Use CCleaner click here to remove all the rubbish and use the registry option to clean the registry (very safe. I've used for years and never ever back up)

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

The Potter 17:17 03 Jan 2011

The error meesages I get are:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_NOT MORE

with a stop code 0X0A (Hope I abbreviated that correctly)

the other is PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, stop code not noted.

I have run CCleaner but to no effect.

Running the scannow.sfc brings up a DOS box which flashes up and is gone, no chance to read what it says.

Everything is backed up on an external drive so no worries if the HD dies!

Thank you for your help.

TP

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:29 03 Jan 2011

"Running the scannow.sfc brings up a DOS box"

make sure you have a space between sfc and /
sfc /scannow

Both errors relate to a bad memory stick
either
remove one stick at a time and retry
or run something like memtest to check the memory
click here

The Potter 17:55 03 Jan 2011

Thank you Fruit Bat. I think I ran that memory test before but I will do it again. Have now managed to get the scan disk running and thanks to your link managed to link it to my xp files without the disk (phew!)

I will report back a bit later when I have run the scan and tested the memory.

TP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?