Frequent PC failure

JerryH 20:17 31 Mar 2009

I have a 4-yr old desktop running XP which has begun to fail frequently when in use (i.e. never when idle). Usually the screen and mouse freeze, followed by screen going black. Sometimes I hear a single bleep before it goes black. Sometimes the first sign of failure is a line of text jumbling up, sometimes a small square appears in top LH corner of screen. Occasionally "Out of Range" appears on the otherwise blank screen, Also occasionally I see message: "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", then suggesting "disabling BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing" and "Tech info: STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xAF373000, 0x00000007, 0x00000000, 0xB9EF6CB1), Viamraid.sys -Address B9EF6CB1 base at B9EE9000, Datestamp 48757Fa5."
The only way to get going again is a manual override and restart.
I have cleaned registry with Regcure, no change. The problem occurs whatever program is running.
Do I have a hardware problem, or what?? Help please!!

rawprawn 20:29 31 Mar 2009

Have a look here click here

iscanut 20:29 31 Mar 2009

Viamraid.sys is something to do with motherboard drivers ( I think !) Not sure what the cure is other than to suggest you get it checked out by an engineer if you want to go down that route. My guess is a motherboard problem. A strange problem as one beep normally indicates that POST test is OK !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:31 31 Mar 2009

Sounds like a RAM problem
Memory Test
MemTest - click here
Tutorial: How to use Memtest - click here
Windows Memory Test - click here

woodchip 21:18 31 Mar 2009

Graphics card Problem, May be the Fan needs cleaning. it sounds like its running hot

ronalddonald 00:03 01 Apr 2009

gie a good clean with a coupkle of air cans look u tube on how to do this.

JerryH 16:40 01 Apr 2009

Thx for all help!
Rawprawn: The M/soft support doc relates only to Windows Server 2003-based computer, which presumably doesn't relate to my standalone desktop.....
Iscanut: I NEVER have a problem at startup, so i have assumed POST and BIOS and XP are OK.
Fruit Bat: Rather than run this test, I'll first change my RAM strips back to old ones and see...
Woodchip & Ronalddonald: I've now thoroughly cleaned my graphics card and PC interior, both of which were dusty, so we'll see whether solves my intermittent faults (on past form this shouldn't take long!).

JerryH 07:02 04 Apr 2009

Having first cleaned graphics card and PC interior without doing anything else so as to test this suggestion, I'm pleased to say PC seems OK! My thanks all round.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?