Frequent Freezes

bigdeadweight 10:52 26 Aug 2005

HELP - My computer is always bloody freezing. virus scan, scan disk, ad scan, burning and copying, defrag, all games, all internet games etc etc etc.with games i get to play for 30 seconds and then it freezes up. until recently i could play online games on websites but now they kill it too. i ran memtest86 and it always freezes on test 3 between 25-40 seconds ish.

celeron2.6
Epox EP-P4MKI
ProSavage DDR Integrated Graphics
XP home

I am just about ready to chuck it out of the window!

Jackcoms 15:23 26 Aug 2005

Try clearing all the crap from your machine with click here
and then disable System Restore and run full AV scans, anti-malware scans and defrag. Make sure your AV and anti-malware definitions are up-to-date first.

Hopefully by cleaning with CCleaner first you may stop the freeze ups.

By the way - chucking it out of the window won't solve your problems.

bigdeadweight 16:31 26 Aug 2005

that ccleaner is a good util. it took a couple hundred megs of stuff of the hdd. and so far everything still seems to be working ;)

but not cured me. tried search and destroy for adware and crashed about a 3rd in. tried mcafee vscan and crashed it after about 5 mins. neither had found anything by the time they crashed it though.

throwing it out the window wouldnt really resolve anything but i would feel much better. i live 12 floors up so it would make a nice noise. knowing my luck it would land on my car!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?