Frequent Daily Broadband Interruptions

Kay9 10:51 27 Feb 2014

For the past couple of years, we have been experiencing intermittent interruptions to our broadband about 3 to 6 times a day, each time lasting about 2 to 3 minutes. We are pretty sure the fault lies with our broadband provider rather than faulty equipment. Should I change to another provider or is that a common problem with all broadband providers ?

john bunyan 11:03 27 Feb 2014

Kay9

Your interruptions seem a bit too frequent. Who is your provider? Have you spoken to them?. How long is your outstanding contract? - often ISP's will insist you buy out the contract if you decide to switch - which is why I am on a one month rolling contract.

It could be a number of things, from the phone line, your router, or the ISP, so ideally these should be narrowed down. I had such a problem for a while after buying a new router, but it seems to have settled down now and I never did find out if it was my ISP or the router!

spuds 14:33 27 Feb 2014

I find it rather difficult to understand how you have left this "intermittent interruptions" for so long, without raising the issue with your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

There should be a record of any failures with the system,so perhaps try a check there, to see if the breakdowns are within a precise time of day or hour.

Changing service provider's may or may not result in any better service, if the problem is with the line and exchange equipment.

Regarding contract's, if you can prove that the service 'is not fit for purpose', then that can be your let-out clause from the contract. But at this stage, I would suggest that you take the issue up with your ISP first.

onthelimit1 14:37 27 Feb 2014

The first thing to do is to plug the router and its filter into the test socket inside the BT master socket - this is normally something that all ISPs require since it eliminates any problems in house wiring. If it still drops out, then push the ISP to escalate it with BT.

You should also make sure that the disconnections do not coincide with domestic equipment switching on and off (central heating, freezers etc) as they can (rarely) have an impact.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017