French language Windows PC to English

puylaurens 08:54 21 Jul 2007

Hello.

I have a PC with Windows XP Media Centre in French. Is it possible to switch it to English without buying a new version of Windows?

Whilst I live in France, English is my 1st language.

Thanks.

Daibus 09:21 21 Jul 2007

File.

Taff™ 09:26 21 Jul 2007

Try Control Panel>Regional/ & Language Options. There are three tabs and you need to change each one to English (UK), British etc I think a reboot may be required.

crosstrainer 10:18 21 Jul 2007

The Windows Installation CD if the required language files are not present on your hdd. You can remove the French language completley if you want to.

wotbus@ 10:30 21 Jul 2007

Hi. I was in the same position some time ago. No, regrettably it's not possible. The other bad news is, when you install some English software you are presented with a "doubling up" of English/French menu's! It's OK if you want a quick reference to the French equivalents etc etc, but I stuck with mine for over a year and it was a big help in learning the French IT vocabulary - something it may take a while longer to do without ;-)
The spin off is I am able to navigate and fault find quickly on my wife's PC and those of my friends with problems. For comfort, my own PC is now a home-built (Mesh with my own top end internals) with it's original UK OS.
With regard to the other posts - the language settings refers to Keyboard and how you want to read your dates/times/monies etc. There is no way to change the language of the entire OS from one to another, be it French/English or otherwise.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:45 21 Jul 2007

Be suprised if you can't change it to English US.

a couple of years ago I change one from Hebrew to English US and back again.

Daibus 11:11 22 Jul 2007

Yes, I tried to change my Spanish version of Windows XP to English but with no success unfortunately.

I even spoke to Microsoft directly about it and they confrmed the position but it always makes me smile as with the Mac OS X operating system the language can be changed easily, with just one click of the mouse!

Boghound 12:54 22 Jul 2007

A complete reinstall of English XP is required or a duel-boot.

amonra 13:39 22 Jul 2007

English and French keyboards are totally different so not possible.

Quiet Life 14:03 22 Jul 2007

wotbus is right . You cannot change the operating system language. Whatever Fruit Bat is referring to it was not a MS operating system.
I have run XP in Portuguese for over a year without amy knowledge of the language and soon got used to it. I down loaded IE7 in English and all my programs are in English with the exception of Outlook Express.
I have Media Centre on a laptop and I think it would be harder if that was in Portuguese.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?