Freezing On XP But Not Vista

Leehndrsn 19:28 12 Jul 2007

Hope someone can help..

I used to have problems with my pc freezing whenever it felt like it (when idle and in use) using XP...tried various things (software wise)but nothing worked, I've since had Vista on for past few months and not a single problem, no freezing or crashing! Few days ago I put XP back on due to many of my programs not being compatable and basically for Vista being a memory hog, and yet again the pc is freezing and sometimes reboots.

I'm assuming that due to Vista being ok it rules out most hardware problems (replaced PSU anyway so its not that).

Any ideas or help would be appreciated...May be of help but I have ran reg cleaner, ad/spy ware cleaner, disk check, anti virus, ram check etc

AMD 64 X2 4800+
XP Home
250 Maxtor HDD
2Gb OCZ Gaming Extreme (2x1Gb)
Nvidia 7900GT 512Mb
650W Corsair PSU
KN1 SLI Extreme Mobo

skidzy 20:19 12 Jul 2007

Possible driver issue..What does device manager say ?

Does it freeze in safemode ?

Leehndrsn 20:51 12 Jul 2007

Nothing in device manager, all ok.

Haven't tried it in safe mode but will give it a go, leaving it idle for a while usually causes it to freeze so will try that.

As I said with Vista working no probs this is just mind numbing

skidzy 20:54 12 Jul 2007

Just to rule out any corrupt windows files,have you ran sfc

Start/run and type sfc /scannow (note the space /)
Understanding sfc click here

Leehndrsn 21:14 12 Jul 2007

I haven't no, will do it now and report back

Leehndrsn 21:27 12 Jul 2007

Ok ran it, it scanned through and simply ended with no message which I assume is a good thing?

skidzy 21:34 12 Jul 2007

yes,so the os seems in good order.
Try safemode and see if this freezes

Leehndrsn 09:47 15 Jul 2007

Sorry for late reply... Had it running idle in safe mode for a few hours with no freezing or anything, only thing I noticed when starting safe mode was being asked to login to either my user name or an administrator one, as far as I was aware my own user account was the only one on the pc. Again ran various cleaning programs, disabled/uninstalled things I don't need and see how long it lasts before the next freeze

Leehndrsn 13:46 15 Jul 2007

well twice in an hour playing guild wars, The AMD dual core optimiser and AMD processor driver wouldn't be a problem would it? I have both installed

Leehndrsn 14:07 15 Jul 2007

The only thing I didn't do which was said elsewhere was installed the updates for xp prior to SP2, I just formatted, installed SP2 then went and downloaded the updates... Don't know if thats an actual problem or not though

skidzy 14:19 15 Jul 2007

If running in safemode ok then its almost certainly software or buggy driver related.

Check your graphics card for an updated driver or even roll the current driver back,you may have a buggy patch.

AMD processor driver could be the problem ?

This may well confirm this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?