Freezing screen, Help!

bob308w 09:39 05 Mar 2006

Running XP home edition, all updates done.
In dec, my new computer, Cube, Intel 3ghz with w/less mouse and mouse, Bullguard security, started frezing. (pointer would not move untill rebooted). This became more frequent untill the PC was not usable. I took it to a local PC expert who re-installed XP and charged me £100 telling me it had a virus. two weeks ago,it reverted to the problem, system restore to Jan resolved the problem for two weeks but it is now becoming bad again. In the error log, a recurring note is "the system filter encountered the unexpevted error OxC000243 whle processing the file CKLDRV.SYS on the volume HarddiscVolume1. It has stopped monitoring the volume". Hope this means something to someone!

skidzy 09:55 05 Mar 2006

Bob...I think if it was me,i would use the recovery cd if you have one.
At the moment,i cannot find any reference to the error code you are receiving,but will try and find some info.

Maybe running ewido click here to tidy up and scan for spyware/malware etc.Also try running ccleaner click here to clean your the system.

Then run regscrubxp click here
And see how you get on,im not saying this will cure your problem,but may help you.It dosnt sound like the guy you sent the system to has a done a reliable job.Try these idea's and post back.

bob308w 10:43 05 Mar 2006

have just bought and run Registry mechanic, it says that it has found and repaired 53 faults, as the Renault advert says "we'll see ".
I did not get a recovery disc with the PC (normal for Cube??), the only thing that came with it was a cd entitled "ATI series Motherboard driver installation CD".

Jaro 10:49 05 Mar 2006

How to remove ckldrv error

The free file information forum can help you find out if ckldrv.sys is a virus, trojan, spyware, adware which you can remove, or a file belonging to a Windows system or an application you can trust.

ckldrv.sys file information

The process belongs to the software unknown by unknown.

Description: ckldrv.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 24608 bytes (84% of all occurrence), 28518 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. There is no description of the program. The program has no visible window. The service has no detailed description. File ckldrv.sys is not a Windows system file. ckldrv.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 6% dangerous, however also read the users reviews.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as ckldrv.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the ckldrv.sys process on your pc whether it is pest. You can use the free trial version of Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It is one of the Top Download Picks of 2005 of The Washington Post and PC World.

Jaro 10:53 05 Mar 2006

ttp://click here

bob308w 11:32 05 Mar 2006

Just had a look at your last suggestion, may invest in that one as well. Rather confused by; ewido cured all problems (26), Registry mechanic (just bought)says; "all repaired,no problems", Registry Cleaner says; "98 problems, buy me to cure them". Interstingly, my virus protection stopped a trojan whilst at the Registry Cleaner site, this one; Trojan.Zorro.A.
So, should I remove CKLDRV.SYs ? Is it a problem?

bob308w 11:46 05 Mar 2006

Problem is still here, screen just froze again, on re-booting, found 4 more errors had arrived (Registry Mechanic result). Do I need both Registry Cleaner and Registry Mechanic installed? One is saying that I have no problems, the other is saying that I have 98??
Going to download the dog now, back later.

bob308w 13:23 05 Mar 2006

skidzy 16:31 05 Mar 2006

No matter how many programs you have,you will also find something that others do not find.

Try these:

Spybot Search and Destroy
Adaware
Ewido
Defender (Microsoft) was Antispy
Spywarblaster
Ccleaner (use all the availble Apps)
Regscrubxp

All these can be found at click here

bob308w 16:44 05 Mar 2006

OK, I've done that, seems to have wiped out most of the rubbish.
Problem now is that every time that I boot up, registry mechanic tells me that I have 4 problems, which it fixes (every time). Adress of faults goes too quickly to note, but it starts Hkey/local/machine/software...?

VoG II 16:52 05 Mar 2006

Try RegscrubXP click here

Click RegscrubXP finds problems.

Let it scan. When complete click 'Select all problems' then 'Fix selected problems'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?