Freezing problem ..... Again !!!

hogan8 10:47 02 Nov 2009

I have had a problem for weeks with my laptop, when surfing between and within websites and the individual menu's my machine freezes. I had lots of advice to do with outdated graphic drivers etc and to be true mine are out of date but here is a strange event. My connection to my own router failed and I was unable to get back on, my neighbour in the next condo has an unsecured connection on his router so we tried to connect to his - successfully. Now when connection to his router I do not get the problem in freezing which I could only previously rectify by logoff/logon with frustrating regularity, yet, when I connect again to my own connection the problem returns.
I would welcome some explanation for this so I can possibly make whatever changes I need to my router settings.

mgmcc 13:40 02 Nov 2009

What happens if you disable the security (WEP/WPA) in your own router's settings? That would at least confirm if it is the security which causes the problem.

hogan8 15:05 02 Nov 2009

Tks for response.
Clicking out WEP and into Disable cuts the connection

hogan8 23:52 02 Nov 2009

I should have been clearer, unticking WEP and ticking disabling takes me into my neighbours unsecured connection.

mgmcc 11:28 03 Nov 2009

>>> Clicking out WEP and into Disable cuts the connection

Yes it will. This is why it is essential to connect by ethernet cable, *NOT* wirelessly, when making changes to the router's wireless settings.

After disabling WEP you would need to delete the existing wireless "profile" as that is based on having WEP enabled. click here

>>> unticking WEP and ticking disabling takes me into my neighbours unsecured connection.

You could only connect to your neighbour's network if you had previously connected to it and a "profile" saved. Otherwise, you'd need to scan for "Available Wireless Networks", select the network and click the button to "Connect".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?