Freezing Problem

Flytch 00:37 02 Sep 2009

Hi all, I have a Dell Inspiron 531 running Vista which I bought last January and there has been a persistent problem ever since I bought it. It will spontaneously freeze, first with the toolbar then with the program I'm running although it can vary. It then freezes entirely and any audio I have will
start to stutter - rapidly repeat a second of the music - and if left for a while it will go to a blue screen and give a message of either KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR or KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. This first happened the night I first turned the pc on so it is certainly not something I have downloaded onto it. Also it has increased in frequency to freezing every ten minutes or so. Would reinstalling Vista perhaps help? I am a student and can't afford a new pc, I really need to resolve this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

brundle 13:41 02 Sep 2009

click here

Check your memory for errors; click here

Check your hard drive for errors with the manufacturer's diagnostic; click here

Not sure what make hard-drive you have - use this; click here

brundle 13:51 02 Sep 2009

Also, the Western Digital tool here click here works on all kinds of drives, worth a try. I trust it more than Windows' built-in Chkdsk for reporting problems.

Flytch 15:59 02 Sep 2009

I'm not sure how to use the memtest thing, its just an iso image file when I download it. How do I use it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?