Freezing PC

steved 12:36 18 Jan 2007

I've just bought a new PC, so I've reformatted and reinstalled XP SP2 on the old one (a home built AMD XP2000 with 768MB 333MHz DDR RAM and NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440) ready for it to be sold. Shortly after reinstalling XP the PC started freezing at random, requiring a reboot to get it started again. After trying the usual (reinstalling graphics drivers, reseating RAM, running chkdsk etc) without success, I reformatted and reinstalled again, this time without installing any drivers at all (using XP defaults) but it still freezes. This was never a problem before I reformatted - any ideas? I just want to be able to sell a working PC to clear some desk space and get a few £ towards the cost of the new one!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:46 18 Jan 2007

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

keef66 13:13 18 Jan 2007

After reinstalling Windows, did you reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers? Often overlooked, and results in a pc which runs like a Russian tractor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone