freezing mouse

andygpz 11:04 07 Oct 2003

i wonder if anyone can help,my mouse has a habit of freezing just for a few secs but if i am playing music from my shared folder it affects it when mouse freezes,i have tried using a different mouse but same problem, i am using windows 98se

PA28 11:17 07 Oct 2003

Uninstall Mouse (through Device Manager>Mouse>Remove). Turn off computer. Check mouse plug fully inserted. Reboot and let machine redetect. Almost certainly a driver conflict, but this may not show up in Device Manager.

andygpz 11:26 07 Oct 2003

sorry as i am fairly new what is device manager sorry for being thick lol

rawprawn 11:34 07 Oct 2003

If you are on Wndows XP, go to Control Panel/ Administrative Tools/ Computer Management & you will see it there Click on it & if there is a yellow question mark against Mice or other pointing devices you probably have a driver conflict. Do as PA28 says.

-=Dark=-{Lord}^Angel 12:10 07 Oct 2003

first i would check and c if the mouse is dirty inside and if that not the problem make sure there is not so many programs running in the background as that can affect the mouse speed !!!!
also you could so to control panel and increase the mouse speed!!!!!

PA28 22:29 07 Oct 2003

As andygpz says he has tried another mouse and suffered the same symptoms, this tends to rule out the mouse itself. Since mice normally attach themselves to COM1, conflict with soundcards or wavemodems is pretty common. I normally look first for a modem using COM3 (which shares resources with COM1) and move it to COM4 - however I've found that it's generally easier to let the computer redetect and sort itself out under the PnP arrangements first if you can. That's the reason that I suggested removal and redetect as a first step.

madPentium 22:31 07 Oct 2003

If my mouse freezes, I get him a bit more straw.

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

andygpz 23:42 07 Oct 2003

sorry mate you lost me after com1

PA28 08:49 08 Oct 2003

Don't worry - I lose myself on these issues and normally end up in ever decreasing circles! Try to resolve by removing/reinstalling as we've described - if this doesn't work then post back and either I or someone else will talk you through the next move (which will probably be disabling background running applications in case these are conflicting, as -=Dark=-{Lord}^Angel says).

andygpz 08:56 08 Oct 2003

sorry where is uninstall mouse on windows 98se as all i normally do is plug it in and go

graham√ 09:51 08 Oct 2003

Go Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager.

Click on + at the side of mouse, tell us what you see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?