Freezing Firefox in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

RISC OS user 14:15 20 Jul 2014
Answered

My wife and I are experiencing "Freezes" when using Firefox 3.0. It appears to freeze at odd times and will lock up the whole machine. Even CTL+ALT+DEL does not work either at all or for quite some time. I was also watching a programme on the "BBC iplayer downloads programme (the programme where downloaded programmes are stored for viewing later) and this kept locking up, again CTL+ALT+DEL did not behave as expected. I phoned my daughter and she is also experiencing the same problems she it using Firefox 3.0 and Windows 8.1. So that is three different machines 1 is connected to a completely different exchange. My wife and I have also noticed that if we are in Yahoo.co.uk and wishing to look at some of the news/film clips this will also lock up firefox etc., I all the cases we get a message "Firefox not responding" Has anyone any information as how to overcome this problem?

Woolwell 16:36 20 Jul 2014

It could be add-ons or extensions that you are all using. Try working your way through Mozilla support. Guess that you meant Firefox 30.

I rarely use Firefox now instead I prefer Chrome and even IE11.

RISC OS user 16:57 20 Jul 2014

Yes I did mean Firefox 30.0

RISC OS user 17:13 20 Jul 2014

I have tried suggestion as above and it does appear to over come the problem, now I will have to find which add on etc., is causing the problem.

Woolwell 17:36 20 Jul 2014
Answer

Wish you luck as it is trial and error.

makbot 05:26 22 Aug 2014

turn off ipv6 in your network adapter settings. i was hanging constantly until i turned that off. I've had zero adverse issues by doing so either. Not to mention i have not had a single hang since. There is something about the name resolution that freezes everything while it times out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone