freezing cursor

firebirdb 10:44 30 Dec 2008

running, windows XP if I leave Pc for a while, I come back whilst still online, and cursor has "Frozen" it cannot be moved, control, alt, delete, does nothing, the only way to bring it back is to reboot

iscanut 10:49 30 Dec 2008

Laptop ? Desktop ? Mouse ? Touchpad ? Trackball ? etc...

firebirdb 10:56 30 Dec 2008

desktop

iscanut 11:01 30 Dec 2008

Probably the 1st easy test is to change the mouse if you can and see what happens and also use a different USB port ( assuming USB, not wireless). Does the freeze happen at other times if not using browser ?

firebirdb 11:09 30 Dec 2008

I have, had this problem before, and diconnected my "wireless mouse" problem has returned , shall try usb port, thanks

firebirdb 22:48 14 Jan 2009

problem still remains, cannot alter port on mouse, it is a colour coded, plug.
Would using Itunes for my music, and picasa for my photos cause this problem ?

jarsek 00:02 15 Jan 2009

At time of freezing, check your HDD access light and see if it is on constantly.

Also, once you do your alt, ctrl del wait for a minute of two to see if the task manager finally appears. If it does, go to processes then click the CPU column (twice I think) to put the highest CPU usage process to the top. My theory is that a process (possibly a trojan) is using 100% of your processor time and doing this may help you find out what it is. Best wishes,

iscanut 09:16 15 Jan 2009

Picassa & I Tunes would not cause a problem. Get a USB mouse and try that and see if problem persists.

firebirdb 19:31 19 Jan 2009

bought a new mouse, and connected it using a USB port, problem, still persists, in any window.
Uninstalled most, downloads, ie Picasa, Skype, has not helped !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Best Free Video Tutorials for Drawing and Painting

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie