Freezing on boot - computer unresponsive

Dreamingman 09:47 29 Jun 2003

(win 98SE, AMD 1200, 256Mb) I have been recently having trouble shutting down (sometimes fails, sometimes takes ages), but 2 days ago, on boot, after loading the startup items, the computer freezes, and is completely unresponsive. I have scandisked, defragged and even uninstalled Zonealarm, in case it had a conflict. There are no conflicts in Device manager, and I am at a loss as to what to try next!

I have installed the MS patch for known windows startup / shutdown problems.

Does anyone have any ideas to help?

Thanks!!

DieSse 12:40 29 Jun 2003

Can you start up in Safe Mode?

If you can, at least you know it's probably a software problem. Disable the items in the startup group (run msconfig) - and see if this helps you pin-point the problem.

Ironman556 13:19 29 Jun 2003

Also try re-installing the patch for shutdown, it can take a couple of times to actually "stick".

Sounds like it could be a Software problem as DieSse says. Run MS Config and on the Startup tab uncheck all but Systray. Restart and see if you get any problems. If not you've got the (possibly long) process of enadbling one item at a time and seeing what happens.

Dreamingman 13:22 29 Jun 2003

Thanks, DieSse, Ironman556 - I can indeed start up in safe mode, and will try as you suggest, to ascertain the culprit.

Thanks for the advice,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?