Freezing,

scolley 23:10 03 Jun 2007

Hello, everyone,
my pc freezes after a certain amount of time i have to swich off at tower, this as been going on now for a about a month, just started from no where?

I have just noticed That the motorola Cable Modem which is supplied by Virgin, as in its log DHCP RENEW WARNING field invalid response, doe's any know or think this could be the problem, as the log states this way back even to when i tok up my sub,s with then telewest, have had four modem;s now but this is first motorla,
Cheers
Scolley

Gongoozler 09:54 04 Jun 2007

How long from switch on to the pc freezing? Is there any particular program that causes this freeze to occur?

scolley 12:04 04 Jun 2007

Hi Gongoozler
No particular program and the time may vary from first switch on and have to reboot, to 2 hours or even up to 6 hours, am off to get new leads today, but i think could have something to do with the server modem, mind i put in new meory about a month ago, and new usb ,s to give me 9in total,
Scolley

scolley 22:40 04 Jun 2007

Hi All
still got my prblem with freezing i have just done a Mem test for all non user memory dont know if this is coorect, but i let it get up to 128% having come up with first at 46% stage, this, 3aede33 and 3aedc8a did not result in accurate copy mem has detected that your computer cannot accurately store data in Ram, this came up again at the 128%, this time 3aed33 and 3aedd14, what does this mean, and what can i do to solve this, ?? got in 2 512mb memory, ddr 3200 Kingston, only 6 wk old
Chees Scolley

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:43 04 Jun 2007

i put in new meory about a month ago

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

suspect faulty memory

scolley 00:08 05 Jun 2007

Hi Fruit bat done the memtest above but did i do it right, first i had 256mb sdr memory original, then i had a 512 fitted every thing ran ok so i went and bought another 512mb memory this was a CORSAIR ddr 1 400mhz PC 3200, desk top memory, do you think its best to put in my orginal 256 with the first 512mb see how long it works for and see if this cures it, also do you know or any one what the test thowed up means, and how long do you have to let the test run and is it in all non user memory, ?? cheers
Scolley,

scolley 13:04 05 Jun 2007

Just have;nt got aclue what is goin on with this PC, swiched it on and did not touch it apart from putting in my msn email and pass word, then got fone calls and was away from PC for an hour and it froze again cna any one help at all, please,
Scolley

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:07 05 Jun 2007

Let the test run untill it has finished do overnight

It will tell you if you have bad memory or not post the result here.

As your problems seem to start when you added the second 512 stick then its that one that is possibly faulty.

scolley 13:48 06 Jun 2007

Hi Fruit Bat
when you say run till test as finshed do you know to what percent doe's the test go to i ran last one to 128% and it stated the above,and which one do i download thanks
Scolley

scolley 16:32 06 Jun 2007

Once again as soon as i swiched on pc froze, rebooted and its been working for 3hours and 35mins now and not froze am crossing my fingers but know its goin to happen, Fruit Bat tried downloading the memtest but it would not run ?
Scolley

Gongoozler 16:37 06 Jun 2007

Try this version of Memtest click here, I've never known it to fail. Let it un continuously for a few hours. When it reaches 100% it has tested all memory locations, so 1000% means it has tested all locations 10 times.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?