Freezes when using slideshow as screensaver

robinmoscow 22:17 26 Oct 2005

My computer running XP Home freezes around every 4 hours and has to be rebooted. This happens when using my pictures slideshow as screensaver. Erors in event log are usually 28 - WinMgmt, 1802 or 1806 - Security Center. What should I do? Thanks in advance. Robin

gourmand 23:08 26 Oct 2005

I am not sure about the error codes but it may be that the pictures you are using in your slideshow are high resolution and taking up too much of your memory, i don't know how much memory you have but it is possible that this may be the problem.

robinmoscow 08:28 27 Oct 2005

Gourmand - many thanks for your answer. I have 512RAM - is that the relevant memory? Other than increase it, is ther anything else you think I should try?
Robin

jack 09:02 27 Oct 2005

A slide show uses a great deal of resources
Think about how a slide show works- The system has to work hard to generate -The Movie- for that is what it is not much left for the real business.

gourmand 23:00 27 Oct 2005

yes, that is correct, if you import pictures for your slideshow without first reducing them they can be huge files and require a lot of memory (RAM). You will need to reduce the size of the files (pictures), try reducing the pictures by 50% in size (pixels) and see what difference that makes. You might like to backup the pictures before you reduce them though if they are important (ie burn them on to a cd or copy them to another file) as the quality will not be as good.

robinmoscow 10:21 28 Oct 2005

many thanks for your suggestions. On the other hand, I have the slideshow screensaver working perfectly on a laptop, Pentium 3 with 256MB of RAM. my desktop, with 2.8GHz and 512 should be able to cope. I'd rather fix the problem before I reduce the quality of my pics!
Robin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?