Freeview and Satallite

musopoet 12:04 09 Jul 2008

I know this isn't pc related but just wondered if somebody could help?...

I recently stopped my subcription to sky but decided to continue to use the box for Freeview.

However, I've noticed that I can't get C4 or C5 or the freeview channels 'Virgin or 'Dave'. I can get ITV 2,3, and 4 and BBC 3,and 4 and some other freeview channels including E4.

When I'm using my DVD Recorder I can get C4 and C5, though.

I'm using the cable from the satellite dish and not the house areial.

I'm thinking of getting Sentanta - with regard to the above - Would I receive sentanta from sattelite or freeview?

chub_tor 12:26 09 Jul 2008

You might try a post in one of these forums for a quicker response click here

Stuartli 12:31 09 Jul 2008

You cannot receive Freeview on a Sky box - Freeview is a digital terrestial service.

You are probably thinking of the new (BBC/ITV) Freesat service which has the same basic name as Sky's Freesat offering.

Setanta is available on Freeview for a subscription, but you require a set top box with a card slot.

DieSse 12:33 09 Jul 2008

"I recently stopped my subcription to sky but decided to continue to use the box for Freeview."

You can't use the box for Freeview - that's terrestrial. You can only use it for Sky Freesat (note that's not the same as the new BBC/ITV Freesat).

Virgin and Dave are not free channels on the satellite, so you won't get them.

C4 and C5 you should still get as long as you keep your old sky card in the box. The reason is they are scrambled, but free, and your old card should unscramble them - mine does.

Stuartli 12:34 09 Jul 2008

Details of new Freesat service at:

click here

You require a Freesat STB (there are standard and HD versions), but will/should be able to receive transmissions using your Sky dish by adding an second LNB.

musopoet 12:50 09 Jul 2008

Therefore, I should be able to use my box to receive Sentanta by satallite subscription, yes?

musopoet 12:52 09 Jul 2008

By the way. what does 'adding a second LNB, ,mean?

Ditch999 13:53 09 Jul 2008

My understanding of BBC/ITV Freesat is that your existing Sky dish will work and apparently if you connect a BBC/ITV Freesat decoder to your satellite cable it will work straight off. The only reason you would need to change your LNB (the plastic bit at the end of the arm on the dish) is if you wanted to keep your Sky box running as well as a Freesat decorder. You would then need another cable to run from the dish and that would require putting a double or quad LNB on.

DieSse 14:01 09 Jul 2008

"what does 'adding a second LNB, ,mean?"

It doesn't mean what it says. It means changing the LNB to one with two or more outputs (if you don't already have such an LNB.

As Ditch99 aid - a twin or quad LNB.

"Therefore, I should be able to use my box to receive Sentanta by satallite subscription, yes?"

Probably - as long as Sentanta doesn't require you to have a Sky subscription first. You will need to ask them that.

Ditch999 14:01 09 Jul 2008

In relation to your question "Therefore, I should be able to use my box to receive Sentanta by satallite subscription" the answer is YES!
click here and go right to the last question.

musopoet 15:59 09 Jul 2008

Ditch999 you mention connecting a BBC/ITV Freesat decoder to my satellite cable. How do I do this?

If I wanted to receive Setanta by Feeeview instead of satallite - what's the best way? Could I receive it via my sky box I would I have to invest in a freeview box with a card slot?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie