Freeview Retune

Terry Brown 17:25 06 Oct 2009

I have a Recordable Freeview box, and it would not accept the new channel layout, tried retuning from scratch several times.

A friend finally put me right.

On a Freeview box with a built in harddrive, you have to Format the drive, and then it will accept the new settings.

However there is one problem, BBC 2, ITV and Channel 4 are now more 'tempermental' (keep breaking up), than they were before, but Film 4 is much better.
I have tried 'fiddling with the aerial, but it does not make a lot of difference.
Signal strength varies between 52% and 54%

I was thinking of a booster box, Are they any good?

Hope this helps someone.
Terry

BT 17:25 06 Oct 2009

"On a Freeview box with a built in harddrive, you have to Format the drive, and then it will accept the new settings."

Most certainly DIDN'T have to do this with my Wharfdale HDD/DVD Freeview box. Just did a normal retune and everything went as it was supposed to.

eedcam 18:12 06 Oct 2009

"On a Freeview box with a built in harddrive, you have to Format the drive, and then it will accept the new settings'

Utter nonsense for a start you would lose all recordings and the HD has nowt to do with tuning

woodchip 18:16 06 Oct 2009

I did not have to format my Freeview Hard Drive Recorder. I just Did a First Time Install not look for new channels

mooly 18:19 06 Oct 2009

:) And as to the channels... they may now be on a different "multiplex" transmitting on a different part of the UHF band and if you have a "channel grouped" aerial which is what was always fitted years ago then the aerial may be actively rejecting these "out of band" transmissions. That is just ONE possiblity, another is that the tuner is picking up out of area signals and selecting and locking on to these rather then the main transmitter for your area.
Unless you can be 100% certain that the multiplexes will not move out of a grouped aerials range during the changeover then you MUST fit a wideband aerial.

And yes, the HDD has nothing to do with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone