Freeview programme guide keeps updating

Pineman100 15:32 18 Mar 2010

We have a cheap Freeview box on a TV in the bedroom. In the past it has very occasionally needed the programme guide to be updated - maybe once every few months. It's a process that takes six or seven minutes, during which you can't watch TV - you just see an on-screen message and small revolving thingy.

This also happens on the rare occasions that the Freeview box is switched off at the mains.

But over the past week this process has happened almost every time I've switched it on from standby - I reckon five nights out of seven. We haven't had power cuts, and I know the unit has been switched on (on standby) the whole time.

Any ideas what might be going on, please?

michaelw 15:57 18 Mar 2010

I had a Sagem which did that and I couldn't fix so I chucked it. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Pineman100 16:03 18 Mar 2010

Thanks michaelw. This is also a Sagem!

It was extremely cheap (£17 about 3 years ago) so I'm prepared to replace it if necessary. But if a solution is possible, so much the better.

peugeot man 07:28 19 Mar 2010

From memory there was a recent issue where older Freeview boxes were not compatible with a Freeview update. I believe some boxes became obsolete,

Pineman100 09:58 19 Mar 2010

Thanks peugeotman. Looks like a new Freeview box then. Ho hum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone