Freeview Plus Help

rawprawn 21:29 04 Jul 2009

We don't get Freeview where I live but I have a Sky box for which I have stopped monthly payments through which I can get the freeview channels.
I am looking to buy a Freeview Plus Recorder such as click here to take the place of my ancient video recorder'
I am really thick regarding TV and digital gubbins that go with it, can anyone offer advice.
Thanks RP

john bunyan 21:42 04 Jul 2009

You could consider Freesat with a Humax twin Freesat pvr that will also record rhe two hd channels. Stuartli will hopefully comment. Have you double checked the lack of freeview with local shops - I thought you were near Portsmouth!!

rawprawn 22:32 04 Jul 2009

Hi john bunyan, no wilds of Yorkshire. we are not due to get digital until 2011.
What is the difference between Freesat and the Freeview programs I can get through the Sky box?

woodchip 22:41 04 Jul 2009

Your click hear will not receive Freeview, its a Freesat Receiver. There is a Difference. Channels are different.

For Freeview I got a Freeview Recorder with Hard Drive in it, from Makro very cheap, they also Have Freesat cheaper than your link. About £140 including vat. You need also to check as twin tuners can work different as my Daughter found out. Mine will let you record two channels at the same time, daughters will let you record only one while letting you watch another. Mine on the other hand will record as hers does but also let you record two but only let you watch one of the others that is being recorded, But it better in that I can set it and it does two when I am not in.

Stuartli 22:50 04 Jul 2009

Freeview is digital terrestial broadcasting i.e. digital transmissions received via a normal television aerial.

Freesat is a BBC/ITV satellite broadcasting system (includes some high definition transmissions) and your Sky box can be used to receive programmes (free service, all you need to provide is a Freesat STB receiver from Argos or similar outlet).

If you fit a quad LNB to your Sky dish you can receive Freesat and the Sky Free to Air programmes (you may be confusing this with Freeview).

Details of Freesat at:

click here

and Sky Free to Air at:

click here

Incidentally, this Sky package did use to be known as Freesat...:-)

Stuartli 22:58 04 Jul 2009

You can check out your local transmitter at:

click here

with regard to Freeview reception.

It could be that you may be able to use a different transmitter to receive DTB programmes.

Also see:

click here

Industry information:

click here

rawprawn 08:33 05 Jul 2009

Thanks for your replies, please bear with me as I need to try to understand and evaluate what you are telling me.
Stuarti "If you fit a quad LNB to your Sky dish "
I have no idea at all what that is can you enlighten me please.

Sorry I am a real dummy as far as TV etc goes, I have had the trial Sky for 3 months. I have not been able to get my Video Recorder and DVD recorer to work when they are both connected. I can only get them working when I connect them one at a time.

Stuartli 10:44 05 Jul 2009

If you fit a quad LNB to your dish (not all that expensive), you can run cables to your Sky and (if you buy one) Freesat receiver.

Some earlier forum advice:

click here

click here

click here

Plenty more. Just key in Freesat + quad LNB into the Search box top right of this website.

rawprawn 11:03 05 Jul 2009

Ok, I think I am getting there.
Right If for eg I buy the Humax click here I could the disconnect my Sky receiver and plug in the Humax and I would then be able to receive and record Freesat.
If I buy a quad LNB I can the connect my Sky box and my Humax then receive and record both Sky free to air and Freesat.
If this is so is there any real advantage in having both?
Also it seems a shame to abandon my £73 Sky box, is there a way to utilise it to feed a hard drive recorder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?