Freeview on my PC

tommyflint 19:51 06 Sep 2007

Hello, i currently have a built in TV card which i use to watch terrestrial TV through windows media centre, i was curious whether it would be possible to watch freeview through the media centre with either the same card or would i need to buy anything else.
thanks
Tom

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:54 06 Sep 2007

£35 from here click here There are many others around as well.

G

tommyflint 19:57 06 Sep 2007

cheers gandalf, but will that i be able to use that with windows media centre instead of there free software? thanks

Technotiger 19:58 06 Sep 2007

I have this one, I am very happy with it. But if you do get one of these 'sticks' be aware that its' actual position is critical to good reception, just a few inches either way can make all the difference.
Also, the provided aerial is pretty useless, I have mine connected to my rooftop aerial - with excellent results on all channels.

click here

emperor ming 20:01 06 Sep 2007

if your current card is a dual card(analogue and digital) you will be able to get both

tommyflint 20:06 06 Sep 2007

it says its a analog and DVB-T Tuner that mean anything to you?

emperor ming 20:10 06 Sep 2007

dvb-t is digital,so should get freeview also,is it connected to roof top aerial?
are you in a freeview area?
can you rescan for channels in dvb-t mode?

tommyflint 20:12 06 Sep 2007

yes it is connected to rooftop aerial and then i use media centre to set it up and it only gives me the 5 channels, and yess i have free you on my TV
any other ideas?
cheers emperor ming

tommyflint 20:17 06 Sep 2007

also how would i know whether i use cable satellite or antenna?

holme 20:19 06 Sep 2007

On the face of it, repeating the set-up (i.e. re-tuning) might help.

However, what's reception like on the 5 (analague) channels? The reason I ask is that there was a discussion yesterday with someone getting very few digital Freeview channels. It turned out he was in a known poor-reception area.

Unlike the analogue programme tuner, if the digital programme-finder doesn't see a reasonably strong digital signal, it won't store the station(s). There are no half-measures, so it's feasible to get all analogue channels (albeit in poor quality) and /zero/ digital channels.

HTH but, if not, I'm out of ideas.

holme 20:20 06 Sep 2007

PS, if you're connected to a TV aerial on the roof, that's the "antenna" setting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?