Freeview and Channel 4

AngeTheHippy 08:36 09 Mar 2007

Morning Chaps, My Freeview is broadcast from the Belmont transmitter in Lincolnshire. Was watching channel 4 Wednesday night(Grand Designs, via Freeview) and the screen froze - twice. Had to go to other station then back again and it was OK. Happened to be watching channel 4 again last night (that prog re NON Global warming)and it froze again, just the once. We don't ONLY watch channel 4, and it hasn't happened on any of the other channels. Has anyone else, especially in the Balmont area, had similar problems please? This is the second Samsung TV within 15 months(first completely died after only 8 months)the first was returned to Play.com who swapped it for this one.

Advice greatly appreciated.

AngeTheHippy
xx

P.S P.S.
F.E - I'm sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this question, but can't find any freeview-only forums.

Arnie 09:01 09 Mar 2007

If you only watch channel 4, Have you tried viewing the channel using the analogue signal?

If you can receive a noise free picture, forget the freeview box and save a few coppers on your electric bill.

Batch 09:03 09 Mar 2007

Try this:

click here

eedcam 09:06 09 Mar 2007

click here
This forum has a dedicated freeview forum

Kate B 09:09 09 Mar 2007

*kicks self* Damn, I meant to watch that.

Arnie 09:09 09 Mar 2007

"We don't ONLY watch channel 4"
I should have studied your posting more closely.

Can you set your box to view the signal strength?
This normally shows up as a bar and it can be compared with other channel signal outputs.

Also, how old is your aerial installation, or are you using a loft indoor aerial/set top aerial?

oldbeefer2 09:12 09 Mar 2007

I've had problems with Ch 4 - cured by having a new, high-gain, digital aerial fitted. You should be able to check the signal strength you are getting from somewhere in your setup page.

AngeTheHippy 09:29 09 Mar 2007

The freeview is integrated into the LCD TV, Arnie, and I think yeah, it is possible to view the strength of the signal - will look later as off out right now, thanks. The Ariel is absolutely NO OLDER than 4 years (when these houses were built) and there's an electrical booster thingy also in the roof area. It's only happened the twice, and on no other station **so far** !! See, thing is, if it's the TV AGAIN that's playing up (see my first post)I'd better get onto Play.com again, but need to rule everything out first. Apparently, on the Transmitter page I found, for this area channel 4 has a low signal, and channel 5 very low, but we got good reception from both!!

xx

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:56 09 Mar 2007

there's an electrical booster thingy also in the roof area

Read something a couple of days ago about someone having digital TV problems cured by switching OFF the Aerial Booster.

Bosters are OK for analogue signals but iffy with digital signals, aswell as boosting signal they also boost "noise".

My own setup has aerial direct to freeview receiver (HD recorder) downstairs and then a booster to the analogue TV upstairs.

Stuartli 10:02 09 Mar 2007

I've mentioned before about the two different types of transmissions on Freeview and problems which result. The last posting in this link will save me searching for them(!):

click here

Arnie 10:59 09 Mar 2007

I wouldn't rule out the odd glitch here and there in the digital signal from the transmitter.

There's always some sort of ongoing work being carried out out from time to time.

Arnie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?