Freeing up hardisk space

whisked 13:55 29 Jul 2003

I have a 20gb drive on my laptop, and only about 5gb free now. What is the best way to free up space and get some faster surfing on the go? I take it i can copy some programs to CD etc but how do i completely erase unwanted files on the PC? Is the only way to download some software that does this and if so any recommendations?

Cheers

Jester2K II 14:00 29 Jul 2003

What version of Windows?

Can you right click the C Drive in Explorer, Properties and hit Disk Clean Up?

Program Supercleaner click here is good for scanning the disk, cleaning internet files and more...

BurrWalnut 14:07 29 Jul 2003

Here are a few things to gain a bit of space and speed :-

1. On a regular basis run Disk Cleanup and delete Temporary Internet Files.
2. In C:\Windows\Temp delete any *.tmp files that are more than a day old.
3. If you use AdAware remove all the (except the latest) *.bckp files from from C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Quarantine and all the (except the latest) *.txt from \Logs.
4. If you use Grisoft AVG remove all the (except the latest) *. Avg files from C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\Log and all the (except the latest) *.bin files from C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\Update
5. If you're not using Norton anti-virus remove Taskmon via Msconfig. Also remove the contents of C:\Windows\Applog where a count of the number of times a program is used is stored. It supposedly speeds up the defragmenter but I haven't noticed any difference.

BurrWalnut 14:16 29 Jul 2003

I've reposted, the original was a bit jumbled.

1. On a regular basis run Disk Cleanup and delete Temporary Internet Files.

2. In C:\Windows\Temp delete any *.tmp files that are more than a day old.

3. If you use AdAware remove all the (except the latest) *.bckp files from C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Quarantine and all the (except the latest) *.txt from \Logs.

4. If you use Grisoft AVG remove all the (except the latest) *. Avg files from C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\Log and all the (except the latest) *.bin files from C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\Update

5. If you're not using Norton anti-virus remove Taskmon via Msconfig. Also remove the contents of C:\Windows\Applog where a count of the number of times a program is used is stored. It supposedly speeds up the defragmenter but I haven't noticed any difference.

if you have a great deal of documents that you need to keep on the drive store them all in Zip files that way you will eliminate a great deal of file slack as the zip folder is stored as one file so there will only be slack in one cluster as opposed to many.

The Sack 15:48 29 Jul 2003

Files i delete on a regular basis are:

*.gid

*.tmp

*.bak

*.old

*.chk

Belatucadrus 16:03 29 Jul 2003

Drive cleaners :- Space Odyssey click here , G-Lock Temp Cleaner 2.0 click here ,

Internet trace cleanup :- CleanUp click here , System Wiper click here

File compression :- Zipcentral click here ZipGenius click here

DieSse 16:51 29 Jul 2003

You can reduce the size of your recycle bin - reducing it from 10% to 5% of disk space gives you a whole extra Gig of space.

Right click on it, and choose properties.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache