FreeCom USB TV card / Hardware acceleration

HXP 21:48 26 Mar 2006

I recently got a Freecom DVB-T USB Stick which gives me access to all the digital channels I can get on my TV ..all for about £40 click here

For the price it is very good but when I check the settings on the card it shows hardware acceleration = none.

The frame rate is not as good as it could be( ok most of the time unless picture pans very fast or fast moving objects) but I can see some frames dropping - does anyone know how to enable hardware acceleration?

My machine = Athlon 64 3.2 1 gb ram Nvida 9600 ultra (agp) so I reckon machine spec ok.

Anyone else got this card and know how to enable H/ware Acc ( I have been through all the setups & gone into the card ini files but no joy.

HXP

woodchip 21:57 26 Mar 2006

You should find these settings in Control Panel\Display you will find a slider

Stuartli 22:37 26 Mar 2006

Some of the viewing problems with TV cards is the variation in signal strength and quality at different times of the day.

For instance I've been watching the women's football tonight on BBC Three and the first half was fine.

However, in the second half it was barely watchable as the display continually froze or was very jerky (I gave up in the end), yet the majority of the other channels were fine.

Even a fresh scan resulted in fewer TV and radio channels being brought in compared to a scan during the day.

Dellman 22:48 26 Mar 2006

Stuartli

Second half problems could be due to the fact that women didn't have the stamina to continue thru the second half......

lol

;o)

Stuartli 23:04 26 Mar 2006

For two or three years in the 1980s my wife and I, plus a journalist colleague, trained and ran a well known women's football team.

It was very successful and won the North West title one year - hence the interest in tonight's match.

Women are surprisingly skilful footballers in many cases and a lot play the game alongside the lads from the time they are quite young.

HXP 23:41 26 Mar 2006

Afraid it is not the video card that needs hardware acceleration turned on but the Freecom USB TV

Nothing in control panel I can see that relates to that device - video card works fine so it is getting the usb device to pick up the H/W acc that is the problem.

I had a similar problem with the analogue card i fitted perviously but on that card in the setup there was acheck box to enable or diable H/W acc.

No settings I can find on the drivers for the USB device.

Appreciate the advice though - anyone else any ideas / better drivers ?

Thanks Stuartli - must admit it is more noticeable on some channels than others - but then my TV works perfectly ....

HXP

Stuartli 00:22 27 Mar 2006

>>but then my TV works perfectly >>

It's exactly the same with my Pioneer set top box and TV set.

The problem only seems to lie with TV cards and even more frustrating when I know, if I walk about half-a-mile to nearby open countryside, I can see the TV transmitter...:-(

However, SWMBO prefers to watch Coronation Street on the TV which has the set top box feed...:-((

Some links that may help re drivers and advice:

click here

This is a rebadged version of the Freecom - perhaps it uses better drivers?

click here

click here

HXP 11:18 27 Mar 2006

Thanks for those links - think it is a case where I have got realy good reception and possibly the best results from the USB stick.

I may upgrade at some point but like you I only use it when my girlfriend is watching the endless CSI type programmes in TV.

I may try it on my other ( older PC ) and see if it is the same.
Thanks again

HXP

Stuartli 11:21 27 Mar 2006

Just rescanned my Twinhan Freeview TV card again this morning after last night's disappointment.

It is only finding about half of the usual number of TV and radio channels - I think it may have something to do with the weather which is wet, windy and with low cloud cover.

Scanning on a fine day always seems to bring in more channels...:-)

rmcqua 11:35 27 Mar 2006

There are several reasons why signal strengths, and the variety of signals available, may be better on fine days. VHF & UHF radio signals generally travel further during periods of high atmospheric pressure (i.e. typically dry weather). Trees, with or without leaves, blowing in the wind on stormy days can reduce signal strength. And last but not least, outdoor aerials with aged or poorly terminated coax can become water logged on wet days, which can significantly attenuate signals reaching the receiver.

Stuartli 13:55 27 Mar 2006

The weather conditions are currently exactly the same, but a fresh TV card scan 10 minutes ago at last brought in the usual 80 plus Freeview TV and radio channels.

The main problem, which has been rife for a long time, is that signal strengths vary considerably on one or MUXs - the trade has been up in arms about it as some of the new set top boxes have particular problems compared to the older ON/ITVDigital STBs like my own Pioneer DTR 2100.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?