Freecom network drive with Windows 7 home starter?

andy625 17:47 31 Mar 2010

I've just bought a netbook with Windows 7 home starter edition on it. I've loaded on the software to connect to my Freecom Network drive (connected to my router). The pc can see that theres a network drive there (and shows the ip address in the freecom software window)however when the software gets to the bit where it lets you assign a drive letter for the Freecom drive, there are no drive letters in the window at all.

Can anyone tell me if they've managed to connect to a Network drive using windows 7 home starter edition?

Should I be able to connect to the drive using this version of windows, is there a compatability problem with the Freecom software, or will I have to upgrade to home premium.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:15 31 Mar 2010

A computer running Windows 7 Starter can join a homegroup, but you can't use it to create a homegroup.

Computers running Windows Starter cannot connect to a domain. Computers on your home network should be part of a workgroup instead.

Network bridging. If your computer is running Windows Starter, you cannot create a network bridge to join two or more networks together. However, a computer running Windows Starter can communicate with computers on a different network if someone on another computer has created a bridge between the networks.

mgmcc 20:51 31 Mar 2010

Can you allocate a drive letter within Disk Management?

["Start > Run", type DISKMGMT.MSC and click OK.]

Miké 21:02 31 Mar 2010

I have three of these on my network (windows 7) the Freecom software doesn't work correctly.

However no software is needed to map these drives to a letter.

In these drives the root folder is "Public" So in "My computer" click on the "Map Network Drive" button and enter the following \\Your Drive Name\Public

Select the required drive letter, job done.

andy625 22:06 31 Mar 2010

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't know I could just map the drive. I went to "My computer" mapped the drive, I had to put in \\FND\PUBLIC, but once I'd done that and put in the network drive's password, it connected with no problem.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone