Freecom DVD+/-RW internal, tray won't close

Ether 18:12 28 Jan 2006

I have installed a Freecom Internal DVD+/-RW Double layer drive in a newly built computer. The tray will not close. It was OK when first installed. It opens but jerks only 0.05 cm and then stops when you try to close.It would close if it was left alone for 5 mins but today will not close at all. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it a software or a hardware problem do you think? An e-mail to Freecom three weeks ago has not elicited a reply as yet.

Kenneth-266656 18:42 28 Jan 2006

I had a similar problem with an earlier computer I had. Try a very gentle closing presure on the tray and see if this works. Mine used to close with this.

Stuartli 20:05 28 Jan 2006

Have you checked the leads and cables for firmness?

If they are OK particularly the power input plug, switch the system off at the PSU and use the special pin which should have been supplied to open a non-operating or misfunctioning tray.

You should find a tiny hole in the front of the drive which will enable the tray to be opened.

Biotech 20:17 28 Jan 2006

Sounds like there is some distortion somewhere or the gears are jamming, has something got into the works unnoticed, if it is a new drive you could report it as faulty.

Ether 08:48 01 Feb 2006

Thank you for all your suggestions which I have implemented.

The unit is now going back to Freecom as I think that it is faulty and it is not a software problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?