Free website creation software.

Damarc 20:22 27 Feb 2015

Can anyone advise on a suitable one please. I used to use Microsoft Web based one but I think they started charging for that. Thanks

Belatucadrus 20:36 27 Feb 2015
  Procrastinus 16:20 28 Feb 2015

I have used KompoZer. Good tutorials too.

KompoZer and Tutorials

Damarc 13:02 11 Mar 2015

Thank you for your help. I notice that there is a charge for web hosting which I hadn't have to pay with Microsoft. I don't really understand this. Can someone explain to me. I'm with Sky so is it anything to do with your internet provider. I don't know where the 'host' comes into all this. Thanks

Batch 13:40 11 Mar 2015

A website has to be hosted somewhere (i.e on a server). In simple terms, the host stores the web pages and "serves" them out to people that visit the website (hence "server").

You either have your own server (which could even be your own PC) that acts as the host or you use someone else's server capability. Having your own server is definitely not suitable for a novice, so you would need to use a third party's hosting service - that's what you are paying for.

Having said that, some web hosting businesses provide free hosting (usually as they pump out ads to visitors to the websites that they host). 000webhost is an example of this (click here).

Some ISPs also provide free web hosting to their customers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?