free web space/site and domain name

iqs 18:22 10 Jan 2008

Hello,

Just wondering if there are any free web sites where you can create a free web page?.Also,so I have read you must have a domain name,are these free also.Thanks

mco 20:06 10 Jan 2008

Just google free websites and you'll get lots of places that will let you have a site for free - even your own internet provider might well provide free space as part of the package. However, the payback is you usually get adverts on your site and you don't get a 'proper' name; it is usually my site at somebodyelse's hosting dot com. So you don't actually need your own domain name,but if you want one, you have to buy them - or rent, annually - and that can be a fiver/tenner a year depending on what you buy.

CodeMeister 20:17 10 Jan 2008

Heart Internet offer free hosting and are very well respected around these parts.

click here for details

Graham. 14:35 13 Jan 2008

I use Piczo click here and point my Domain name at it. You don't need to buy a Domain name, but they are so cheap for a .co.uk and it makes it far more elegant.

I use 123 click here to host mine, as you see, Piczo does not appear in the address bar click here

DieSse 12:26 17 Jan 2008

I use awardspace for free hosting. You can have a free subdomain there too - it takes the form

yourname.awardspace.com

click here

I find they've been very reliable, and actually host a non-profit site there permanently - and it works very well.

iqs 16:53 17 Jan 2008

for the many links and advice.

On this months Pc Advisor DVD,there is a program call Netobjects Fusion Essentials.It states you can build a web site in 30 mins,great.But how eay it is to publish to the web,also is it free to do so???.Cheers all

DieSse 18:04 17 Jan 2008

"But how eay it is to publish to the web,also is it free to do so???"

Publishing to the web simply means transferring the web pages you have constructed to the hosting company's servers. You use an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program to do so. There are free ones available.

"Is it free..."

Well if you use a free FTP program, to a free Host - then yes it's free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?