Free Web Hosting - Too good to be true ???

CodeMeister 16:49 11 Oct 2007

Hi

Has anyone ever used Free Virtual Servers ?

click here

I'm probably being gullible but they appear to be offering something fantastic for free and I can't immediately see that catch.

I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on thsi.

Patr100 19:49 11 Oct 2007

The most obvious catch is that site size and bandwidth are a measly 100mb - Maybe Ok for sharing between a small circle of friends - unlikely to meet the needs of anything beyond that.

-

Forum Editor 23:44 11 Oct 2007

the free web-hosting offer sounds great, but isn't suitable for much more than the everage personal site - it certainly wouldn't be much good for a commercial site of any description.

DieSse 00:56 12 Oct 2007

Have a look here click here

Free - far superior in terms of space, bandwidth, etc.

No ads

I've been using them for testing sites, and some smaller live sites for a couple of years. Found them to perform well and pretty easy to setup and use.

Recently (using AwardSpace and Web-Easy) I did a demo at the computer club to set up a free sub-domain, do a simple two page site, upload and get it working. I said "A working site in an hour". Took 25 mins when I did it, along with a commentary as I went.

bobbyandfred 18:37 14 Oct 2007

It really depends. I've used Freewebs in the past for free web hosting but their packages aren't as useful as things like cPanel.

Paid hosting is, just like paid antiviruses, generally better than free hosting though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?