Free virus protection advice required

ray27 09:35 30 Jul 2007

I have had a problem with the Sky Broadband , I could not get access to the net ,and they advised to me to uninstall Norton Sytemworks 2003 which also had my virus protection with it, as this could be the reason why I was having trouble accessing the net, this was not the problem , the problem was with the router they supplied .

I have decided to not to reinstall the Norton Sytemworks 2003 as it is no longer supported and the virus protection costs £17.00 a year , not much but a free one is cheaper.
What I would like to know is if there is a free Virus protection supplier and if so can you point me in the right direction in getting it .
My system is a Pentium 3.2 with Windows XP Home
I would be very grateful for any advice given

Halmer 09:37 30 Jul 2007
  birdface 09:59 30 Jul 2007

Go ahead with AVG,I have been using it for a couple of years now and had no problems.I have not been tempted to try anything else .

Halmer 10:36 30 Jul 2007

ray

€dstowe 10:48 30 Jul 2007

I've used AVG for almost as long as I can remember. It's always worked OK for me - and that's on numerous machines.

grizzley 13:01 30 Jul 2007

i use avast and it works very well for me.

ray27 13:15 30 Jul 2007

I have downloaded the av75free to my desk top what do I need to do? is it just click on it and it will install if so is there anything I should or does it do it all automaticly?

Halmer 13:37 30 Jul 2007

you'll be OK. Just double click!

ray27 18:19 30 Jul 2007

Thanks everyone for the advice I have installed AVG75 and it was as easy as Halmer said just one other thing does it scan for viruses before they are downloaded If so how do you temporarily disable it as you may have to at some point when you install a new program

Halmer 21:47 30 Jul 2007

You will not need to disable it.

It will not interfere with programme installations.

Just let it get on with it.

Totally-braindead 22:24 30 Jul 2007

If you download anything right click on the file before you open it and scan it with your antivirus.
Also check it is scanning your emails, it will tell you at the bottom of the emails scanned by AVG etc. It scans emails automatically just check its working ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?