free up swap space

coubury 14:22 31 Oct 2007

i need to free up 640mb of swap space to run a game on my pc here

anyone know how to do it?

DieSse 14:47 31 Oct 2007

free it up from where?

Are you trying to run the game - if so what error message exactly are you getting?

Seth Haniel 14:49 31 Oct 2007

depends if you are letting windows manage your swapfile or you have it at a fixed figure
if it is fixed you can up the limit yourself

coubury 14:50 31 Oct 2007

the error says

Fifa 08 requires at least 640mb of free swap file space. Please free up the required space and re-run the game!

Seth Haniel 15:06 31 Oct 2007

- right click 'My Computer' select properties - select 'Advanced' tab and under 'Performance ' select 'settings' select 'Advanced' tab select under Virtulal Memory click 'change' then see if 'Custom size' or 'System Managed' is selected

pezza100 20:26 06 Nov 2007

right i have done this but which one does it have to be on as mines on custom and i also need 640mb on swap filing space for fifa manager 08

Quiller. 20:39 06 Nov 2007

If you right click your C drive in my computer. What free space do you have?

Do you know how much ram your computer has.

Finally, what is the system managed " custom " size of the virtual memory. Min and max?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:30 06 Nov 2007

Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?