FREE UP SPACE HD - ONLY USNG 22GB OUT 37GB

Stressed Mum 18:51 13 Nov 2009

I know you'll all take a deep sigh - but I do appreciate your help... My daughters laptop is running very slow. I have tried everything that I have done before - usual disc clean, ccleaner, deleted unused programs, spybot, msconfig start up etc etc. Also, changed AVG back to 8.5, unabled add ons on all browsers, changed system restore to lower percentage. But when I came to defrag I was told error - not enough space. When checking volume on C Drive it shows that there is 33GB being used out of 37GB available - but when I total up the program files, windows file, docs and settings etc I can only find 23GB. What using the rest and how can I release some of it? I guess it must be a partition??? It's XP, MO 2007, Dell Latitude. About 6 years old. It did show 3 users - now deleted to just one. Can't remember how or where I did that but they weren't using much anyway - just less than 1GB between them. I would love to get this running at a reasonable speed. I have also disabled all MO extras that we don't need. Thanks for your help. SM & daughter! :(

User-1229748 18:57 13 Nov 2009

if you go to disc clean up there should be an option to delete all but your last restore point.depending on how many restore points you have you may get some space back that way.

MAT ALAN 18:58 13 Nov 2009

click here

run the prog in the link it will tell you EXACTLY where your disc space has gone, but i will plump for your "system volume info files" where your restore points are kept...
if you Pc is optomised turn OFF system restore which will release the space allocated.

User-1229748 19:15 13 Nov 2009

i'm wondering when you added up your disk space that you have used with programs were you including all your windows updates aswell?

Stressed Mum 19:20 13 Nov 2009

Not sure - eerrr - yes I think so. I simply took the figure from properties when right clicking on the WINDOWS folder.

Curio 19:24 13 Nov 2009

As a last resort, transfer those files not used full time to an external Hard Drive and make space on 'C' that way.

Stressed Mum 19:25 13 Nov 2009

Still downloading TreeSize on laptop - take a litle time!! Downloaded on desktop though - to have a practice! My System Volume Information shows an exclamation mark 0.0MB and access is denied!! Need to put that right straight away - help!

Stressed Mum 19:26 13 Nov 2009

Not got many files anyway - seems very odd. In fact the C drive seems very small to start with???

GaT7 19:32 13 Nov 2009

Use Disk Cleanup click here to remove older System Restore files - this may free up a considerable amount:

WinXP click here
Vista click here
Win7 click here

G

Stressed Mum 19:36 13 Nov 2009

So - I was just about right - Treesize shows that 23.878 is being used - so where is the other 14/15 gone?? System Volume information is showing the same as desktop - denied 0.0MB

Stressed Mum 19:40 13 Nov 2009

Canit follow the MS advice on Remove Restore Points as do not have the option of 'More Options' to take me to System Restore - I'll try system restore settings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?