Free space Disapeared from Hard drive

kat64 13:14 01 Dec 2005

Hi,
I have a 80Gb harddrive and 41Gb are in use leaving around 38Gb freespace. last night I attempted to De frag and a message came on screen telling me there is only 2%of free space. I checked in my computer by right clicking 'C' drive and It appears almost completely full.
I have checked my programs and find I only have my usual programs and Nothing big enough to take up that amount of space overnight. 2 days ago when i checked i had 38% free space I have not downloaded anything since but suddenly I am down to 2%. Can anyone please advise me what has happened to all my free space and why it has disapeared so suddenly.
Regards

kat64 13:16 01 Dec 2005

I forgot to mention I have Windows XP Pro. and SP2 .

Skyver 13:24 01 Dec 2005

Take a look at the entire disk with this click here
Check your HD for errors

woodchip 13:37 01 Dec 2005

If XP try this, Go to Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore you will see text in red for settings, for all drives that do not have a Operating system on you can safely stop restore on the drive by clicking the drive the change settings by putting a tick in the box. For you Operating System Drive C:\ set it to 7% of the drive you should get some space back

kat64 23:00 01 Dec 2005

Many thanks Guys ,
Have decided to format my hard drive and start from Scratch.
Thanks for your comments
Regards

driving man 23:29 01 Dec 2005

If you are going for a full format I hope you havent got many programs loaded. Plus if your operating system is an OEM then make a set of restore discs just in case it goes pear shaped as it did for me once (yes I am an old fool --cant help it as I was born at an early age)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?