Free SMS service, does it actually work?

Mysticnas 12:17 29 Jul 2003

hi all

I was just scouring the web for a free sms service, o2 as most of you probably know, reduced their sms allocation to 30.

anyway, i found this site in google that claims they let you send free sms with no limit on how many you can send. you don't have to sign up or anything as far as i can see.

I tried to txt my own phone to see if it would work, but it kept coming up with illegal call method as an error and asked me to try again. I've tried lots of time but keep getting the same error.

can anyone else send one?

click here

Sir Radfordin 13:02 29 Jul 2003

Just sent a text and it hasn't arrived but their site said it had been delivered. Didn't get any error messages...!

I'll let you know if I get it!

fitshase 13:07 29 Jul 2003

Just sent a text and was delivered within seconds.

I sent a message to a phone on the Orange network.

Regards

Fitshase

BigAl127 13:15 29 Jul 2003

Just sent a sms to my t-mobile phone. Delivered within 10 secs.

Just a thought, are you omitting the leading zero off the mobile phone number, when entering it, as you have to, cos the site uses the +44 international code.

jakedawe 13:16 29 Jul 2003

No problem, T-Mobile received in seconds.

Chegs ® 13:28 29 Jul 2003

An Error Has Occurred

We are sorry, but access to what you requested could not be completed on this occasion. Details are included below. You may wish to return to CBFSMS.com and try again. Have you read the System Status? This service is run in accordance with the Terms and Conditions which must be read prior to use.

Message Not Sent

Illegal calling method detected!
BACK

.....perhaps due to using Opera,or ZA blocking cookies,etc.

Mysticnas 13:28 29 Jul 2003

i have a t-mobile too. weird. i'm going to carry on with it and see what happens.

Mysticnas 13:30 29 Jul 2003

I use ie6 and have norton firewall and AV running. maybe it's a cookie thing?

Sir Radfordin 13:33 29 Jul 2003

Didn't get it - Orange mobile, and yes did not have the 0 at the begining. Ah well...!

Tj_El 13:51 29 Jul 2003

I have used CBFSMS for months with no problems except where their network is saturated with users when the service becomes temporarily disabled.

I have been able to send messages to me Mrs who's on Voda, and plenty of friends who are on the different services i.e. O2, T-Mobile, Orange.

Xevious 14:33 29 Jul 2003

do any of you get "junk messages" from any advertisers...etc after having used this service?

just worried that if i use it, it'll register the mobile nr in their database, made available to 3rd parties...etc

i know it says that you can block such calls in their "abuse" area, but does it work?

(call me paranoid!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?