Free Sky Broadband

pj123 15:41 21 Jul 2006

My neighbour who is on Sky and has his telephone (BT) connected to the digibox has just tried to register for this service.

Sky say it is not available in this area. We are in Norwich. I can't believe that?

I am not on sky but have been to their website but there is no way to check whether your area is available for this service or not. You have to register an interest and then they tell you whether you can get it or not.

Anyone else in the Norwich area had the same problem?

rodriguez 15:49 21 Jul 2006

I had a letter from Sky advertising their broadband service and saying it was available in my area, which is near Birmingham. As Sky's broadband service is quite new, the telephone exchanges have to be enabled for their service and yours probably hasn't yet. Norwich is quite a populated area so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

CurlyWhirly 15:54 21 Jul 2006

"I am not on sky but have been to their website but there is no way to check whether your area is available for this service or not. You have to register an interest and then they tell you whether you can get it or not."

I think it's normal.
I think it's a bit of a cheek expecting you to register just to see if you can get it or not!

AFAIK if your exchange has Easynet listed then you *will* be able to take advantage of the Sky network via LLU and if not then your only option is the Connect package which uses BT's Max DSL service.

To find out whether Easynet is available at your exchange click here

The reason why Easynet is mentioned is because Sky have recently bought Easynet and will use this ISP to deliver their Sky network (at least that is how I understand it).

dwaynedibbly 15:55 21 Jul 2006

It looks like a role out of the service over the next year or two.
Living in the wilds of North Yorks we may never get it.

Got a letter saying I could sign up to their "connect" service, but seeing as its more expensive than my current provider, I don`t think I`ll bother.

Oh, and you do have to be a Sky subscriber in the first place.

dukeboxhero 16:10 21 Jul 2006

well im in glasgow with a new exchange in my area and sky say i cant get it for 6 months?

pj123 17:10 21 Jul 2006

So the bit on their site that says:

"Sky Broadband is here, exclusively for all Sky TV customers."

Isn't true then. Notice the "exclusively for all Sky TV customers"

QuizMan 17:25 21 Jul 2006

For Sky customers they will advise you when it's available in your area. I've had a letter yesterday and have registered my interest. Now waiting for Sky to make the next move. I don't know how they are prioritising their roll out schedule, but I am in an NTL region - coincidence?

pj123 17:39 21 Jul 2006

Well the adverts say for ALL Sky TV customers.

I think ALL means ALL.

So, is this a case for the ASA then.

I can get Broadband from every other BB ISP in this area, so why not Sky?

Perhaps they should tone down their adverts, something like

"To Sky TV customers in selected areas" might be a good start.

Kaacee 20:52 21 Jul 2006

I had the letter from SKY informing me that i couldn't get BB in my area and that they (SKY) were doing all they can to resolve this...strange, i've been on BB for the past 10 months...so agree with earlier comment...perhaps SKY should change their advert and remove the word ALL....

Naeris 21:38 21 Jul 2006

I'm in the sticks in N Yorks but Sky have said I can have it.

They have also announced that they hope tp have everyone signed up and using by December this year!...........Let's see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone