Free Security Software

RKMonty 21:16 23 Feb 2009

I will be getting a new Desktop soon and wnated your views on the 'free' secutiry software I have chosen.........
1 AVG Anti Virus
2 Zone Alarm
3 AdAware
4 Spybot
My pc will have MS Vista.
Is my list...good or bad, too little or too much...any comments appreciated.
Finally......Can I download these programs onto a CD or similar and then install them from the CD/similar ? or when I'm installing does the pc need access to the internet to complete the installation process
Thanks

birdface 21:26 23 Feb 2009

I would forget Adaware and Spybot.And get malwarebytes + A squared + Spywareblaster.The rest are Ok.

Technotiger 21:27 23 Feb 2009

Apart from ZA, looks ok to me. I don't use, but recommend Comodo firewall, as I think it may be preferred over ZA.

An additional Spyware I recommend is SuperAntiSpyware.

Usually best to download and install on-line, that way one usually picks up the latest updates to the various programs.

The above is only my opinion, I am sure you will get plenty of others.

bluto1 21:47 23 Feb 2009

Avast 4 is a good alternative to AVG, as Technotiger said we all differ slightly. If you do decide to load them onto a CD/DVD then do not forget to update each one on installation. Whatever you install be comfortable with it. In my opinion a good Registry cleaner is RegScrub, but I don't know if it's compatible with Vista, if that's your ISP.

AL47 21:54 23 Feb 2009

i have
zone alarm, [never change that]
avg [considering chnging]
malwarebytes [seems good so far]

RKMonty 22:12 23 Feb 2009

I was only thinking of loading them from a cd as if I went on the internet to install them....at that time I would have no protection whilst I was downloading the progs

Technotiger 22:16 23 Feb 2009

Hmm, you still have to download them in order to put them on CD!

RKMonty 22:18 23 Feb 2009

Technotiger....Yes but I would download them on my present pc wher i have software on, I have had this pc for years and wanted to know info on the current security software thanks for your info it useful and this site is great

Technotiger 22:19 23 Feb 2009

PS - a Senior moment perhaps; you could of course use a different PC to download them and put on CD - having too many Senior moments lately LoL ...

RKMonty 22:21 23 Feb 2009

At my age........ I get those moments too !!

brundle 22:30 23 Feb 2009

No rootkit protection with AVG, Avast or Antivir include it though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?