free registry cleaners??

mark3986 02:34 02 Mar 2010

i want to keep my computer runnin smoothly and would like to know wot people think of registry cleaners and weather theyre worth having thank you!

Input Overload 07:09 02 Mar 2010

click here JV16 Power Tools Lite - Free.

I've used JV16 registry cleaners for years without any problems.

click here

CCleaner has a safe reg cleaner on it. I would shy away from Reg Seeker as it's rather aggressive & you need to know what you are doing.

Microsoft feel registry cleaners (As many on here do) are not needed as they can cause problems. I've never had any but your PC will probably function OK without one if your in any doubt.

Batch 08:18 02 Mar 2010

Like many on here I've used Ccleaner for years (including the registry cleaning function). Never had a problem with it. I use the general cleanup (which doesn't do the registry) several times a day. And the registry cleanup maybe once or twice a month (depending partly on whether I've been making major changes like adding / removing software).

Some people like to update to the latest version as soon as it is released. But I tend to stick with the same version - if it ain't broke don't fix it - until something major (like buying a new PC) prompts me to download the latest.

Andsome 08:20 02 Mar 2010

I agree with Batch, except that I do update C Cleaner. Leave other registry cleaners well alone.

birdface 08:39 02 Mar 2010

Or maybe try this.

click here

In my opinion a bit better than C Cleaner and does an automatic back up plus various other things.
You want the trial version if you are thinking about using it.
The only drawback is that it will only repair 10 items at a time but you can run it as often as you like.
The trial version lasts forever.

Batch 09:25 02 Mar 2010

BTW, I have shortcut (on the Quick Launch bar in my case) that is set-up to run Ccleaner's general cleaning function at a single click.

The shortcut target is:

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /auto

I.e. supplementing Ccleaner with /auto launches it straight into general cleaning mode after completion of which it just exits.

Seth Haniel 14:34 02 Mar 2010
  Woolwell 14:56 02 Mar 2010

I don't touch them. You have to ask what items in the registry need cleaning. Some programs leave bits behind when uninstalled. If you use Revo Uninstaller then that solves that problem click here.
Whatever you do before changing anything in the registry create a system restore point.

I disagree with Batch in that I think it is important to have the latest version of any registry cleaner. There may be an important bug that has been cleared in the update.

sunnystaines 16:00 02 Mar 2010

regseeker is very good but do not the cleanregistry option . use the "find in registry option" and it very good but read each key first before deleting.

winaso is good but if you have a hp printer watch out and deselect hp keys or else you will have to reinstall your hp software.

ccleaner & eusing free reg cleaner, never had a problem

Daiol 22:07 02 Mar 2010

Sorry tobutin on the subject of reg cleaners.Iv'e been using ccleaner for a long time and without any probs,But I'm interested in what 'Batch' said about the shortcut is it possible that he could shed a little more light how he got that shortcut on his desktop.
I tried
C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /auto
But could not work it out where do you find 'CCleaner.exe" /auto' Please.
Thanks.d

birdface 23:53 02 Mar 2010

click here

Not very good reviews about it but that was 2 years ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache