FREE NORTON INTENET SECURITY 2007 FROM SYMANTEC??

rotormota 16:54 28 Aug 2007

Hi

I have had a peculiar offer from Symantec today of free Norton Internet Security 2007 upgrade via a message in the system tray NIS icon. Peculiar in as much that Symantec are offering something for nothing & also because after the obligratory software install restart Norton IS had completely vanished from my PC altogether!

A GoBack has resolved the situation back to my previous NIS version but has anyone else had the same 'offer'?

Thanks.
Jules

sunny staines 16:57 28 Aug 2007

have you been hacked??

rotormota 17:02 28 Aug 2007

I doubt it coz the message came from the NIS 2006 icon in the system tray & as NIS 2006 runs permanently it stops any hacking.

rotormota 17:12 28 Aug 2007

Because I did a GoBack inevitably the free NIS 2007 uograde message has just appeared again. If I hover over it the wording says 'Live Update Notice, Keep Up To Date with Norton Notices'.
There is aso a large 'pop up' window with further details which has appeared above the system tray.

sunny staines 17:15 28 Aug 2007

go to their free live chat support web for help they will guide you through if a genuine offer,

mfletch 19:00 28 Aug 2007

Hi, I hope this is of some help?

I used Norton 2006 about 3 months ago and I had a offer to upgrade free to 2007 so I did the result was Crash after Crash after Crash!

So got rid and know use Avast Antivirus and Comodo Firewall,

And believe me it was the best thing I have ever done,

And all was FREE

mfletch

Condom 13:35 30 Aug 2007

Hi
I see you read my problems of a few weeks ago. I eventually complained to the EU HQ in Dublin and then something happened. I got wonderful service and they resolved all my problems and sent me a free NIS disk through the post. It seems that the downloaded stuff was faulty in some way but I'm now up and working fine. After installing the new NIS I was then able to doewnload other free Norton Add ons but they are not up to much. What I discovered was that if you update your Norton on the Internet it doesn't seem to actually update version 2006 to 2007 but only gives you another year free downloads. To get the free addd ons and free NIS you need to have the 2007 version on your PC not just the 2006 version with an extra year downloads. I hope this helps with your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?