Free music

Bike-it 13:43 27 Feb 2011

where can i get free music on line that is safe to download and legal, years ago i used limewire but it was more hassle than it was worth?

Chapter One 14:06 27 Feb 2011

There is no such thing as free music which is legal to download. Websites offer free music illegal downloads the penalties of which in the UK are now quite severe if a downloader is caught.Is it worth a substantial fine and/or prison sentence? No,neither do I.

March Hare 14:16 27 Feb 2011
  Bike-it 14:56 27 Feb 2011

Are these sites safe to use, anyone her use them if so which ones?

bremner 15:05 27 Feb 2011

There are plenty of free legal music download sites.

Whether the vast majority will ever have heard of the artists is questionable. click here click here

User-1624681 15:29 27 Feb 2011

Try these, free and safe.

click here

click here

click here

Good sites as long as you're not expecting "Chart-Friendly" music.

Some independent record labels also put out free samplers in the hope that you will buy the full CD's.

Try some online music mags like Spin.com, Spinner.com or Stereogum.com. Depending on your musical tastes you may find some really interesting stuff out there.

ACOLYTE 15:32 27 Feb 2011

I doubt you will get chart hits free,that is to say the newest songs,however if like me you like the older songs then there is a few sites you can use that are free,a word of caution,some sites claim to be free but have a lot of redircting and popups so choose with care.

eedcam 18:47 27 Feb 2011

You could try Spotify open its free to listen or purchase tracks and has about the biggest library of any them from the oldest to the latest.Of course if you accidentally had the pc on record Ahem!
click here

cocteau48 19:20 27 Feb 2011

Just to expand on bremner's post I have downloaded dozens of albums from Jamendo ... it is a very good,and safe, site.

Try a Google search for Netlabels (and there are hundreds of them) .... which are sites which distribute completely free and legal music released under the Creative Commons Licence.

As already stated you'll not get chart hits on these sites but by refining your search for netlabels which specialize in the genre which you looking for ,pop/folk/easy listening/jazz etc,you can find some fabulous music out there.

You could spend days just searching through the Internet Archive alone click here

It is one of my personal bugbears that the majority tend to think that the only music available is that which the mass media opt to distribute.

muddypaws 19:32 27 Feb 2011

Bike-it
For the last few months I have used Spotify as above.
You can search for whatever your taste.
Then in a couple of seconds create playlists ( allbeit on line) that are automatically saved for your next visit.
So-you can't d/load, but with my latest acquisition, an FM transmitter I can listen to any of them on any radio in the house or garden.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?