Free lunch anyone?

Forum Editor 18:56 04 Dec 2003

It does happen, sometimes, and I think some of you might be interested in this. There are lots of handy little downloads on the web, if you know where to look, and this one will earn its drive space over and over again.

It's a brave web designer who says he/she never has any surplus HTML in a site - it happens to us all - and something that would take a shuffle through our code and remove unnecessary characters and whitespaces etc. and leave the real stuff untouched would be worth its weight in gold.
click here and download just such a thing - free of charge.

Taran 19:13 04 Dec 2003

Downloaded it, installed it, haven't dared run it on one of my latest creations yet though.

I'll try it later once I've put the finishing touches to a couple of scripts and backed the whole lot up.

T

Taran 19:37 04 Dec 2003

OK, I've used it and saved exactly 48 bytes on every page in the web folder.

I like to space out some of my nested <div> tags by starting a new line in the code and this was the culprit on all the pages.

Bad habits ?

Me ?

;o)

Thanks for the link. It's a gem and well worth adding to your toolbox.

Best regards

Taran

Forum Editor 23:14 04 Dec 2003

I think it's the best free utility I've seen in a long while.

The GnoMe 20:14 06 Dec 2003

add to my postings

cheers just in work will look more when i get home in 13 hrs ha ha

powerless 21:21 06 Dec 2003

One has to ask if the page appears correctly in the first place why the need to for a tidy up and potentially alter a page appearance?

(Backup)

Sir Radfordin 21:51 06 Dec 2003

Every extra bit of code adds bytes to the file meaning the site is slower, each page takes up more bandwidth, code isn't as clean etc. By removing the bits that aren't needed then you end up with a better site. I ran it on one of my sites and save several bytes but can't see any difference.

Forum Editor 22:14 06 Dec 2003

Thank you - I couldn't have put it better. So I won't try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?